Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI to HDMI Adapter Question?.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:12 PM

On my PC's AMD graphics card external outlets side I have all three output options VGA, DVI and HDMI. My monitor however only has the DVI option and therefore it is coupled to the DVI connection on the PC and everything works as it should. However while browsing Ebay recently for something else, I came across a DVI male to HDMI female adapter. I never knew of these before and as I have a couple of spare, good quality HDMI cables from my old Panasonic plasma tv which went kaput in my toolbox it set me to thinking. My question is, would I get a better quality picture if I bought one of these adapters and used it and the HDMI cable to connect my monitor to the PC?.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:13 AM

The DVI digital video signals are the same as those in the HDMI connector - but DVI does not include an audio signal. So as long as you are not using the analogue video signals available on some DVI connectors you would get no picture quality improvement by changing to HDMI.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:05 AM

The DVI digital video signals are the same as those in the HDMI connector - but DVI does not include an audio signal. So as long as you are not using the analogue video signals available on some DVI connectors you would get no picture quality improvement by changing to HDMI.

Thanks for the reply, how would I be able to tell whether the DVI connection I am using is connecting via analogue or digital?.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:26 AM

AFAIK most monitor DVI inputs are digital only - your monitor specs may tell you (DVI-D is digital only). If your monitor has a functioning "auto" setting along with working vertical & horizontal position settings you are using an analogue signal - if it has these settings but they are greyed out / non-functional you will be on digital. If your monitor has a switchable input it should also tell you whether you are using an analogue or digital input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users