Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cortana removal tool for win 10 anniversary update

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:38 PM

Has anyone come up with a working removal tool for cortana since ms no longer allows it to be disabled or uninstalled.

I think at this point it is safe to say that it has gone from pup to full on infection and should be treated as such

Edited by mikeloeven, 09 October 2016 - 10:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:18 AM

Cortana is a feature of Windows 10 and mobile devices, not malware so I am moving this topic to a more appropriate forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

Microsoft makes Cortana unkillable in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, but you can disable it. 

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key together.   

Type gpedit.msc in the search box, then press Enter.

Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search

Locate Allow Cortana and double-click on it to open the relevant policy.

In the page that opens you see three options in the upper left portion under Allow Cortana.

Not Configured
Enabled
Disabled

Click/tap on the Disable radio button.

Restart the computer for this to take effect.

Edited by dc3, 10 October 2016 - 08:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,276 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

dc3,

That does not work on Win10 Home (and I'm not sure even Pro, but I could be wrong about that) because we don't have gpedit.msc available to us.  I've tried downloading alternate versions and don't recommend it.

I really, really don't get this frenzy about Cortana.  You can entirely neuter the PDA elements of Cortana in a few seconds and have nothing left but a straight Windows Search functionality (but still using a process called Cortana, since Cortana is now what Windows Search is called).

To neuter Cortana back to Windows Search:

1.  Open Cortana & Search Settings

a) At a minimum, flip the toggle for "Search Online and include web results" to off.  Feel free to flip any other toggles you like to off.

2.  Either click the link in Cortana & Search Settings for Other Privacy Settings or just open Settings, Privacy.

3.  Take a look at the "Speech, Inking, & Typing" Pane and make sure that the "Getting to know you" feature is off.  I cannot remember what it looks like when it's on because I turned it off ages ago.  If it's off the button under the "Getting to know you" section will read "Get to know me."

4.  Optional, and not directly Cortana related, go through each and every Pane of the Privacy settings and set the toggles to your preferences.  This takes all of 5 to 10 minutes, particularly if you're an "all on or all off" sort of individual.  It will take a little longer if you want to allow specific things access and other things not.

Then, if having the full Cortana search box on your taskbar annoys you then right click on the taskbar to get its context menu to come up, choose the Search item, and choose either "Show search icon" (which will cause a button with a magnifying glass to be displayed which you have to hit before entering search term[s]) or "Hidden."

The Personal Digital Assistant feature of Cortana is very easy to turn off and you can end up with functionality that was pretty much what old Windows Search was.  Cortana is no more malware than Command Prompt is.

All of the above is on Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Edited by britechguy, 10 October 2016 - 09:30 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

My apologies, I got distracted by bleeding all over my keyboard and had to come back to my post and forgot to post that this is a command which is used in the Command Prompt which opens the Local Group Policy Editor.

Edited by dc3, 10 October 2016 - 11:40 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

DC3, we don't have group policy in Windows 10 Home version.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:08 AM

Not looking for configurations settings but rather a method of essentially physically removing it or at least breaking / corrupting it to the point it cannot physically run

also I already disabled it in group policy before posting this but the problem is that components are still showing up in the start menu and portions of the application are still running in the background

Edited by mikeloeven, 11 October 2016 - 02:12 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:36 AM

DC3, we don't have group policy in Windows 10 Home version.

Bummer. <_<  I have Pro, so I wasn't aware of this.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:46 AM

Not looking for configurations settings but rather a method of essentially physically removing it or at least breaking / corrupting it to the point it cannot physically run

also I already disabled it in group policy before posting this but the problem is that components are still showing up in the start menu and portions of the application are still running in the background

Here's some information that you may want to think about.

Caution: Uninstalling Cortana breaks the Windows 10 Start Menu and probably Search. You will not be able to get it working back easily. You will not be able to-reinstall it quickly without using the genuine install.wim file. For most users, this means that Cortana will be removed from Windows 10 permanently.

Edited by dc3, 11 October 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,276 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:01 AM

Quite simply, you do not uninstall components of the OS.  You configure them.

No one ever proposed uninstalling Windows Search.  Cortana is Windows Search on steroids and it's a simple matter to turn the "on steroids" part off.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:09 AM

Quite simply, you do not uninstall components of the OS.  You configure them.

No one ever proposed uninstalling Windows Search.  Cortana is Windows Search on steroids and it's a simple matter to turn the "on steroids" part off.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,276 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:30 AM

@dc3:  I didn't miss the OP's addition.  But that way lies madness.

Anyone who thinks that Cortana is "malware" and expects no Cortana process, which is now what Windows Search is named, to ever be running on their machine is not thinking clearly.  It's not malware, it's not a virus, it's an essential component of the OS even if not being used by the end user.

There are things I will not help people do, but will try to delicately dissuade them from.  In this case the delicate is gone and I'm out.

~ Brian Vogel

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

Brian, you are preaching to the choir.  I agree one hundred percent, this is why I posted the possible results if the OP removed this. :thumbup2:

#14 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:32 PM

Honestly I break windows installs on a regular basis through my experiments. I also happen to make images of my HDD so when something does break it literally takes me 10 minutes to restore it. but actually now that I know that the parts of Cortana that are still running are just the base code for windows search Ill just take your word for it that its disabled

Edited by mikeloeven, 11 October 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

Disabling it really is the best way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users