Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"It's time to restart your device"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:05 PM

I've been getting strange popups on my desktop recently. Just now, "It's almost time to restart your device".

I thought it might be Windows 10 updates which I thought finished earlier today - it took over an hour.

I pressed ctl-alt-dlt, and the "Confirm" button highlighted.

Whether this is MS or not, it's extremely invasive and corrupt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:36 AM

Windows can’t update or remove files that are in-use so when Windows Update downloads new updates, it can’t apply them to  system files right away as . these files are locked against any changes.

So to actually install these updates, Windows has to shut down and then restart the system and load the newly updated files when it boots.

If this is not convenient for you perhaps consider setting 'Active Hours' for when reboots can take place on your system

http://www.howtogeek.com/264325/how-to-set-active-hours-so-windows-10-wont-restart-at-a-bad-time/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

Just as a quick note, active hours are to be expanded in an upcoming build from a maximum of 12 to a maximum of 18, which is a welcome change as far as I'm concerned.

Windows 10 updates are no different than earlier Window Updates in that some, not all, will require a system restart as opera notes.  If you take an occasional look at Windows Update you will see that updates have already been downloaded which require a restart and Windows will pick a restart time that is outside your active hours, at least initially.  You cannot put off letting Windows Updates apply "perpetually" and eventually you will be warned that the system is going to restart whether you want it to or not.  I've never gotten that far because I take a look at Windows Update every once in a while and if I see a restart is scheduled (and usually for the wee, small hours of the morning) I typically close the programs I have open and choose to "Restart Now."  That way I have control over the restart time and get better direct feedback should an update fail, and I've had one or two that did and required a second try (I have no idea why, either).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:18 AM

Open regedit

go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

If the key doesn't exist create it.

Create a DWORD in AU named AUOptions and set the value to 2 or just change the value to 2 if this already exists

This basically disables automatic updates and requires that you press a button to download and install updates. This is a permanent solution to the automatic restarts and notifications,  however this does not enable selection of individual updates like you had back in windows 7 so when you do decide to update you're still forced to install all the available updates so if you put it off too long your talking hours of updates.

Edited by mikeloeven, 11 October 2016 - 02:26 AM.

#5 savvy2

savvy2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

Me too, 

we get this blue screen, not one word in the pop up says, MS or MS windows 10 or M10. NADA , ZIPPO.

just a  blank blue screen with the words "time to reset your device...."  wow "Device", it don't even know what it's running on.  wow to the 10th power that. 

the word MS updates not mentioned either

So I used task manager, and killed all apps running 1 by 1, and the box remains.

so it's W10 .

Is MS daft?, is it to much trouble to identify its self.  In every pop up,  must be too hard for them. (

what  royal pain this is, in the world of ransom-ware , and malware.

surely they can patch this in 5 minutes work.  surely.

I could if given the chance..... but will not leave retirement me.... not ever.

Running on a very fast PC desktop, we are, 

now if only MS can build a working , update engine,  that works like LINUX, but  is not totally brain dead as it is now..  but I digress.

I just joined to say this.

on one machine i have I have w10 , pro,  I use O&O no spy program (free) and use it to stop spying and the force MS to only update, at boot, and never never nag me while I work, omg, imagine that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users