Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time building a gaming computer, how will these specs perform?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mark580d

mark580d

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

I would like around medium setting in games. The budget for the build is around £600 to £700. I'm building this computer from the UK and the build will mainly be for PC gaming and some college work.

The current build specs are:

CPU - Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard - ASRock B150M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151

Ram - Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Hard drive - Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Graphics Card - Asus Radeon R9 380X 4gb

Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400 White Mid Tower Case

Power Supply - EVGA Super NOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

Are these specs ok? Does this build have an upgrade pathed? can this PC run games like Civ, CSGO, GTA, and Planet Coaster? Or if you can suggest any other parts or builds you think would be better.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:48 AM

CPU is pretty much dead end for upgrading. If you want platform for upgrade, grab AM4 motherboard. Availability should be within few weeks.

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:17 PM

No one really knows how well the new AM4 processors will or won't do in gaming, and I sure would not expect them to be available 'in weeks'. (I sure would not blow $100 now on something that is outperformed by an i3)

I would, however, pay $12 more for a 6500K even if it could not be overclocked, as the 400 more MHz or so is worth $12.....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:00 AM

The CPU isn't "dead" for upgrading the OP can upgarde to a 6700k if desired. However I would agree on the wait for AM4.  I think Zen will be released about 2 weeks before Xmas.

Edited by Zone_86, 11 October 2016 - 02:01 AM.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

No one really knows how well the new AM4 processors will or won't do in gaming, and I sure would not expect them to be available 'in weeks'. (I sure would not blow $100 now on something that is outperformed by an i3)

I would, however, pay $12 more for a 6500K even if it could not be overclocked, as the 400 more MHz or so is worth $12.....

We do know very well what AMD X4 950 is. And I really expect them to be available in weeks. Zen is not that soon available but that's why I talked about upgrade. For upgrading, AM4 is top choice.

The CPU isn't "dead" for upgrading the OP can upgarde to a 6700k if desired. However I would agree on the wait for AM4.  I think Zen will be released about 2 weeks before Xmas.

That is not upgrade, its money wasting. In absolute terms going from i5-6400 to i5-6500 is an upgrade, but taking performance difference and price into consideration, that's not. Same applies to i5-6500 to i7-6700K. Small performance difference and high price makes it not worthwhile upgrade.

AM4 with Athlon X4 950 will be released much sooner than Zen. That was my point.

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

. If you want platform for upgrade, grab AM4 motherboard. Availability should be within few weeks.

However I would agree on the wait for AM4.  I think Zen will be released about 2 weeks before Xmas.

They delayed it till 1st quarter of 2017. Most people are speculating it'll be released at CES 2017 in January at the earliest. 

The actual, physical, AM4 motherboards are out now for OEM builders like Dell, Lenovo, HP, ETC, but they're all using APUs made from current FX CPU cores. Even if OP got a hold of one of these OEM only boards. There is a very small chance that they'll get a BIOS update to later support Zen when it does come out. 

They are not coming out in a few weeks consumer side, you can't buy anything for them right now, and the earliest we could maybe see them is in late January. Knowing the hype for it them, if it launches then, it'll be another month after that before you can even get your hands on one because of the mass demand there'll be. 

The CPU isn't "dead" for upgrading the OP can upgarde to a 6700k if desired.

CPU is pretty much dead end for upgrading

The current socket 1151 boards (the one that the i5 he has listed fits in) to support the new upcoming 7th gen series from Intel. ASUS has already released a BIOS update for every board they have to support the new CPUs. 

Are these specs ok? Does this build have an upgrade path? can this PC run games like Civ, CSGO, GTA, and Planet Coaster? Or if you can suggest any other parts or builds you think would be better.

Thanks.

Mark580d did a good job. It can run all the games he listed and more.  The only minor things I'd change would be to:
  • Use a new RX 4xx series card from AMD, or a GTX 1xxx series card from Nvidia.
  • Pick a cheaper case to save some money there. 
  • Add a cheap DVD drive. 
Those are just nit-picks though. 

Edited by SEANIA, 11 October 2016 - 04:33 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:14 AM

We do know very well what AMD X4 950 is. And I really except them to be available in weeks. Zen is not that soon available but that's why I talked about upgrade. For upgrading, AM4 is top choice.

That is not upgrade, its money wasting. In absolute terms going from i5-6400 to i5-6500 is an upgrade, but taking performance difference and price into consideration, that's not. Same applies to i5-6500 to i7-6700K. Small performance difference and high price makes it not worthwhile upgrade.

AM4 with Athlon X4 950 will be released much sooner than Zen. That was my point.

Dude. Just stop. It was you that was telling a poster to go for a 6850k when he didn't need to for gaming purposes. Performance difference is marginal with gaming but you get an I7 for rendering or streaming and you also get (yes marginal) gaming performance upgrade but overall it's a nice upgrade path.Your contention was that he had no upgrade path period. You were wrong. It's like saying someone that runs a FX 6100 on an AMD 990fx motherboard has no business upgrading to a FX 8350 when in fact it's an upgrade.

#8 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:17 AM

CPU is pretty much dead end for upgrading. If you want platform for upgrade, grab AM4 motherboard. Availability should be within few weeks.

Wrong.

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:04 AM

For the record, still no AM4 mainboards or processors of any type on Newegg....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:20 AM

They are not coming out in a few weeks consumer side, you can't buy anything for them right now, and the earliest we could maybe see them is in late January. Knowing the hype for it them, if it launches then, it'll be another month after that before you can even get your hands on one because of the mass demand there'll be.

Zen is likely coming January. AM4 CPU's are coming earlier. Athlon X4 950 is interesting part.

The current socket 1151 boards (the one that the i5 he has listed fits in) to support the new upcoming 7th gen series from Intel. ASUS has already released a BIOS update for every board they have to support the new CPUs.

New CPUs are still only quad core. Switching from quad core to quad core hardly makes sense even there are many generations difference. One generation difference = now worth it.

We do know very well what AMD X4 950 is. And I really except them to be available in weeks or so. Zen is not that soon available but that's why I talked about upgrade. For upgrading, AM4 is top choice. In fact, it's only choice that is worth right now or near future.

Dude. Just stop. It was you that was telling a poster to go for a 6850k when he didn't need to for gaming purposes. Performance difference is marginal with gaming but you get an I7 for rendering or streaming and you also get (yes marginal) gaming performance upgrade but overall it's a nice upgrade path.Your contention was that he had no upgrade path period. You were wrong. It's like saying someone that runs a FX 6100 on an AMD 990fx motherboard has no business upgrading to a FX 8350 when in fact it's an upgrade.

And? About two years ago overclocked Pentium G3258 was "best" gaming CPU. No long after that many games started to demand at least 4 threads. Those games won't even start with dual core CPU. Now i3 is enough for games, but how long? How about quad core? Hexa core CPU is enough for gaming for many years. Quad core is not. So would you rather spend money for CPU hat lasts at least 5 years or GPU that gets old next year? General rule still applies: if there is no big price or clock speed difference and CPU architecture is almost same, pick CPU with most cores. That rule has applied since first dual core CPU's arrived. It still applies if you ask me.

While going from FX-6300 to FX-8350 is somewhat upgrade, it only makes sense because FX-8350 is very cheap CPU. Now let's see that "upgrade":

Straight to i7-6700K: total cost $330
From i5-6500 to i7-6700K: cost $200 - price you get from selling 6500 + price of i7-6700K

For that upgrade to make sense, i7-6700K should cost at most around $100. Prepare to wait at least 4 years for that to happen. So that's not an upgrade, it's money wasting. so if someone wants i7, better to buy it immediately or go with very cheap CPU first.

Wrong.

Right. AM4 platform is only good choice for upgrading (counting out high end platforms).

For the record, still no AM4 mainboards or processors of any type on Newegg....

That's why I said availability will be in the future.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 12 October 2016 - 04:28 AM.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:56 AM

Please add Macrium Reflect or anything similar, available trustworthy external media, a plan for routine OS partition and data partition backups.  A gamer probably will restore an OS partition from time to time.  And, your game histories, scores, etc., can be saved on your data partition.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 October 2016 - 04:57 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#12 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:25 AM

And? Never was the G3258 considered the best "gaming CPU" it was considered the lowest budget highest output CPU for gaming, which it was. The "best gaming" CPU three years ago was the 4770k, then supplanted bye the 4790k a year later. AMD never camre remotely cose to entering the conversation.

Right. AM4 platform is only good choice for upgrading (counting out high end platforms).

Still wrong. What is "is only"? Do you mean "the only?"

Ok I get it, you are trying to imply that an unknown yet to be released platform is "the only" way to upgrade. Now I understand. I see we are on the same level now.

Edited by Zone_86, 13 October 2016 - 03:29 AM.

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

And? Never was the G3258 considered the best "gaming CPU" it was considered the lowest budget highest output CPU for gaming, which it was. The "best gaming" CPU three years ago was the 4770k, then supplanted bye the 4790k a year later. AMD never camre remotely cose to entering the conversation.

Overclocked G3258 did beat 4770K in many game tests and it was advertised "faster than 4770K". In certain games of course but still.

AMD FX-series is still enough to most people for gaming purposes.

Still wrong. What is "is only"? Do you mean "the only?"

Ok I get it, you are trying to imply that an unknown yet to be released platform is "the only" way to upgrade. Now I understand. I see we are on the same level now.

The only yes. AM4 is only known socket that offers good upgrade path.

Update paths (starting CPU is at least quad core):

LGA1151: i5 quad core to upcoming Kaby Lake quad core. No valid upgrade path.

FM2+: No valid upgrade path.

AM3+: FX-4300 to FX-8350 is OK but as FX-8350 is cheap, better to buy FX-8350 and forget upgrading.

AM4: Athlon X4 950 to upcoming 8 core 16 thread Zen.

Even if we assume fastest Zen for AM4 will be already tested 3.0 GHz engineering sample and nothing better, AM4 is going to win this competition easily. so AM4 is the best choice now or near future for those who want platform for future CPU upgrade.

#14 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:58 AM

The only yes. AM4 is only known socket that offers good upgrade path.

Not yes.

Update paths (starting CPU is at least quad core.

Core strength matters more than very weak cores

You purposefully obfuscated your statement to those that don't know any better.

Take notes ok? I5 quad core "KabyLake" what would be the upgrade path? Well assuming you have a KabyLake mainboard you can upgrade to a KabyLake I7 right?

FM2+: No valid upgrade path..

There is if you have a low end FM2+ and you can upgrade to a better one. Just saying.

AM3+: FX-4300 to FX-8350 is OK but as FX-8350 is cheap, better to buy FX-8350 and forget upgrading.

Would that be similar to your statement of (paraphrasing) "what is the upgrade path from a KabyLake I5 there is NO upgrade path according to you, but by your own logic in this statement they can simply just get a KabyLake I7 "and be done with it". See how that works?

Even if we assume fastest Zen for AM4 will be already tested 3.0 GHz engineering sample and nothing better, AM4 is going to win this competition easily. so AM4 is the best choice now or near future for those who want platform for future CPU upgrade..

Not a bad pitch at all, if you are hardware unaware. Or, you only consider AMD.

Edited by Zone_86, 14 October 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#15 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

Update paths (starting CPU is at least quad core.

Core strength matters more than very weak cores

I just said that if starting CPU is quad core, then upgrade paths are. It's a bit different if starting CPU is something like dual core Celeron/Pentium.

You purposefully obfuscated your statement to those that don't know any better.

Upcoming Kaby Lake is not much faster than current i5 CPU's so Kaby Lake i7 will not be fast enough for reasonable upgrade.

Does it make sense to upgrade i5 Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge? Or i5 Ivy Bridge to Haswell i7? Or i5 Haswell to i7 Skylake?

If not, then it's not worth to upgrade i5 Skylake to i7 Kaby Lake. Very simple.

Take notes ok? I5 quad core "KabyLake" what would be the upgrade path? Well assuming you have a KabyLake mainboard you can upgrade to a KabyLake I7 right?

When I talk about valid upgrade path, I don't mean upgrade is possible. I mean that upgrade makes sense in either saving money or getting much more CPU power. Even FX-8350 to FX-8370 is an upgrade but considering only difference is 100 MHz more turbo clock speed, that's more money wasting than upgrading.

FM2+: No valid upgrade path..

There is if you have a low end FM2+ and you can upgrade to a better one. Just saying.

Low end quad core FM2+? Like what?

Would that be similar to your statement of (paraphrasing) "what is the upgrade path from a KabyLake I5 there is NO upgrade path according to you, but by your own logic in this statement they can simply just get a KabyLake I7 "and be done with it". See how that works?

FX-8350 is theoretically over 100% faster than FX-4300 so theoretically FX-8350 is over twice faster than FX-4300. In practice, it's nearly 2x faster indeed.

What about Kaby Lake? Assuming generous 10% IPC gain over Skylake and 4.5 GHz base clock, even those make theoretically only about 30%+HT. Hardly worth to upgrade.

Not a bad pitch at all, if you are hardware unaware. Or, you only consider AMD.

Well, no other platform (except AM3+) can offer around 100% theoretical gain if upgrading from quad core.

Again, theoretically Zen is 40% faster than Excavator. So, if Zen octa core is running only 3.0 GHz and X4 950 is 3.5 GHz, then Zen is around 20% faster per core. Add double amount of cores and that makes 140% gain + SMT.

Again, we are talking over 100% gain for upgrading. With Skylake i5 to Kaby Lake i7 upgrade even 40% is hard to achieve. Some perspective there.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 14 October 2016 - 02:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users