Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba black screen when i turn it on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TrueLoveWaits

TrueLoveWaits

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

hey everybody here is the problem, i have this laptop since 2009 and a month ago something weird happened, i turned on the laptop and no image was showing on the screen then i plug it into to another monitor and then it showed up on the extrenal monitor. then the next day i was goign to start the computer and bang the same prob but then i tried to turn off and turn on for multiple times and nothing, then after 20 minutes i decided to turn it on again and it did work, but then i decided to never turn off the laptop cause i was scared it would happen again, but then i had to turn it off and when i turn it on the screen was black ofc then after 45min i decided to turn it on and was perfect, but now a few days ago the scree isnt show any image even if i wait hours or days.. so i decided to start using the external monitor and then one day i turn off the computer and when it started the screen was perfect again, now im using the external monitor again and tried to turn it off and on and nothing, seems like its gone forever. 
the laptop im using is toshiba l500-13w 
please somebody help me. i tried everywhere around the web. 
 P.S sorry for my english but i tried everything in my native languange and couldnt find anything like this. :bowdown:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:23 AM

TrueLoveWaits,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

We hope that you enjoy your visit here & can resolve you issue.  :thumbup2:

My guess is that given the age of your computer, there's a high probability the inverter that's needed for video is shot. I was looking for a suitable YouTube video on this, is basically for many models, a $20 repair. One factor that leads me to this solution is what you've reported, you have video on & off & now have none. 

You'll need to find the P/N for your inverter (often called the VGA or video inverter), and then you can likely find a new one on eBay (please remember to check seller Feedback, it's everything). You may wish to view some YouTube videos to get you somewhat familiar with the procedure, looking for your model if possible, if not, one close to it. 

Others may have ideas, however that's what I suspect to be the issue, as long as the CPU is working, fan cycling, these things lets us know that the rest of the system is OK. 

The only other thing that I can think of, a lesser probability, is the graphics chip itself has gone bad. Rarely to I see this, however anything is possible, that would require a motherboard replacement. I'm inclined to think that it's the inverter, these do fail (sooner with more usage, longer with little usage). 

Let's see if anyone else responds & hear other opinions, hopefully some will come in. In the meantime, you can check out the Toshiba Hardware Forums in your region to see if this is a common issue. While I don't want you to pay out $20 (in USD) w/out good reason, better that than a MB replacement for sure, and many of these are used. While I've used these in the past when desperate, none held up for more than a couple of years & were kind if high in cost. They may say 'refurbished', but are really often used & cleaned up as good as possible, some may use paint to make it look like components were replaced. There's certain components that has to be replaced, one is the DC jack, then any bulging capacitors, by the time a real refurbishing takes place, the cost is often more than the MB is worth. 

You must consider the value of a computer, especially a notebook, when replacing the MB. An inverter is less of a risk, yet you have to acquire some skills to replace. This is where some YouTube videos can come in handy, if you have a spare computer or access to one.

Hopefully others will pitch in opinions that will be helpful. :)

Good Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users