Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear 3100 wireless adapter

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

Not sure what the problem is here. 

Installed a new HDD and the required re-install of Win7.  Installed the Wireless N adapter from the CD. 

The software seemed to install fine, and I went through the install wizard for setting up the wireless connection.  That failed initially, but then a window popped up asking for network key. 

Now every time I restart computer, I get a very slow moving purple expanding box then a netgear popup that asks me if I want to use the wizard, but the wireless is already connected.  I get this whether I follow the prompts through or click on "I will configure myself".  I can't simply close the window.  And if I repower, I get the same thing. 

I believe I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling SW. 

What is the fix for this?

Many thanks, Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

On the side of the dongle it should say WNDA3100 with a version number. What is listed on your device?

#3 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

Actually, it doesn't. 

One side says Wireless-N Dual Band, One edge says WNDA3100 and then has some tiny numbers under FCC id.  The other edge has a serial number and a bar code.  Bottom side simply says Netgear. 

The supplied CD says version 1.3 under "resource cd" but I imagine that isn't relevant. 

Kevin

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

There are actually three versions, some with different chipsets. Similar to your other thread, right click the Wifi Dongle in Device Manager. Select properties and under the Details tab is a dropdown box. Select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line.

Capture13.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 October 2016 - 06:54 PM.

#5 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

Okay, The one you asked for, and another I thought might help. 

Attached File  Capture4.PNG   15.36KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Capture5.PNG   22.48KB   0 downloads

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:17 PM

You have v1 which is an Atheros chipset.  The latest driver is available here. Uninstall your current driver before installing this one. It would also be wise to create a System Restore point before installing.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNDA3100v1#WNDA3100 Software Version 3.0.0.2

Unzip the file and read the html file. If the driver does not work we can try a different driver.

#7 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

Ok, a couple thoughts though. 

The driver is working, the device is working. The connection is working.  It's a software install tool that seems to be acting up.  Its like the "installation" hasn't completed, and it wants to set up a wireless network connection that is already up an running. 

Seems strange that the same original install disc that had installed it on the same PC with win7 before the HDD crash is suddenly the wrong driver. 

Kevin

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:34 PM

There is a driver that would not need the install tool of Netgear but I am not sure if you want to try going with it. You would need to install the driver using Device Manager. No wizard software included.  Is it possible to uninstall the wizard software without uninstalling the driver? 

#9 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:58 PM

Your last point is what I was wondering too. 

So if I understand correctly,

I uninstall the "package" it would peel all the software and drivers, then install just a driver? 

I will have to do this with a stick and another computer as the device is my internet connection on that machine.  But certainly willing to give it a try. 

Kevin

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

I tried to extract the files from the exe installer but could not. The only way you can avoid installing the netgear "wizard" is if a driver only option is available during install. 

What if you delete your wireless profile and then start the netgear wizard software. Does it then complete?

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 October 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

Hallo, bizman123.

I've been using NetGear stuff for quite a while now. From an old WPN-511 RangeMax PCMCIA wireless card in an elderly Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop, to a much more recent WNA3100M USB mini-adapter. I found the same thing as you, when I used to use the RangeMax with XP in my old Dell. there was a driver-only option, which was not recommended....so I opted, initially, for the full install. The NetGear software connected happily for the first few days.....then insisted it could no longer find the network. Nothing had changed. It would keep on popping up at boot, even though the Windows utility had already connected it.....and the two used to 'squabble' over who was running it! Nightmare. I uninstalled it all, then re-installed just the driver. Ever after, it would connect flawlessly using the built-in Windows wireless connection software.

With the WNA3100M, I found the same problem as JohnC; differing chipsets, depending on the version. Currently, I'm Linux-only, having given Windows the heave-ho about 3 yrs ago. Even though the Linux kernel contains thousands of drivers, you still have the hassle of needing to swap kernels if you've got something new, which older kernels don't support!

Luckily, the chipset in mine has had kernel support for several years.....and just connects straight-away, with no probs. But I'll re-iterate what JohnC has told you; with wifi adapters, it's all down to the specific chipset used by your adapter. No getting away from that.....and manufacturers have a disturbing tendency to change chipsets without telling anybody what they've done.!

By & large, I like NetGear stuff; it just does what it's supposed to. That, and TP-Link gear, too.

@JohnC_21:-

I've just tried doing the same as you, extracting from the .exe file. No soap. I suspect NetGear have 'locked' it in such a way that only the installer can 'unlock' it.....probably via a built-in digital 'signature'.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 October 2016 - 07:02 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:52 PM

Okay, sound like exactly what I am dealing with. 

So where to go from here?  Can I obtain just the driver?  What John C is pointing me to above looks just like the complete software package.  The current software package seems to work fine in installing the adapter (it came with the adapter) but then it and windows later fight over startup at machine boot. 

Luckily, this is an annoyance rather than a problem with getting the new install of win7 on a new HDD which is what started this mess. 

Thanks,

Kevin

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

Does the install package allow you to install the driver only?

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

Well, now.

I found what worked for me (and bear in mind I'm working from memory here, since I haven't run Windows for a while) was that when the two started squabbling over the connection, I went into 'Add/Remove Programs' and removed the NetGear Software. It obviously didn't touch the driver, because after that the Windows wireless connection wizard connected me to the internet every time.

Initially, I allowed the installer to install the whole package.....then when the trouble began, removed just the NetGear 'wizard'. That worked for me; whether it will for you, remains to be seen.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:11 PM

Okay, let me try this.  I will first try uninstalling the software, and hope my connection remains. 

If not, a removal would have been necessary before a re-install try anyway, and if I have to re-install, I will see if I have an option for driver only. 

I don't remember that option the first couple times through.  It's an "setup.exe" scenario. 

Let me ask you both this.    If I have to un-install, and then re-install, I assume that the 3100 should be removed, and installed when software indicates you do.  I remember that many hardware items shouldn't be physically be installed until the drivers are present.  Is this correct? 

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users