Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help ID GPU

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

I am trying to do a reinstall of Win7 on a new HDD. 

Changed HDD and installed windows.  Trying to insure I have all drivers installed.  My resolution from a GeForce graphics card is no longer recognized, and it says "generic pnp blah blah". 

I can't recall what this is because my son bought it, and I can see nothing written on it.  It's a PNY Geforce card.  That's all I am sure of.  I believe with 1GB of DDR3 on it, my guess is a Geforce GT630 or similar. 

Attached File  card.jpg   118.46KB   1 downloads

Thanks,

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

There should be something written to it. Also if that card works, you probably can use tool like GPU-Z to identify.

#3 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

I can't find anything, but I can try tool, and perhaps pull card out of computer to see if there is something on backside of fan, or along an edge. 

Is it normal for windows on a new HDD not to recognize or drive a card.  I see the system sees a 14mb generic pnp video.  VS the 1GB card and it used to drive my ultrasharp monitor to it's maxium resolution, but see 1280x1024 as max on windows controller. 

Kevin

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

Speccy should be able to determine the graphics card. If Speccy does not detect the card then right click the display adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

#5 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:28 PM

Here is output from Speccy.  When I use windows it shows the capture under it. 

Attached File  Capture2.PNG   42.32KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Capture.PNG   13.23KB   0 downloads

Anything that helps would be great. 

Many thanks,

Kevin

#6 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

Here is the GPU-Z output while we are at it. 

Attached File  Capture3.PNG   33.42KB   0 downloads

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

In the dropdown box it should read as Hardware IDs, not device description. Speccy only shows 14MB for the card and GPUz shows 0MB. I'm not sure what is going on.

What is the model number of the Dell?

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 October 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:46 AM

That's GT420/GT430/GT440.

#9 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

Sorry, been out of town working. 

Back at this stubborn project.  John C, the computer is an Dell XPS 720.  The video card was a replacement a few years back for the GT9800 (I think) that came with it originally.    I am not sure what is going on either.  This whole process has been a PITA, and was questioning the value of trying to fix this.  I didn't mind buying a HDD as I could simply use it in another machine.  Possibly the same thing with a video card, but DDR2 memory, and MB is another story as the memory would cost me more than the working computer is even worth vs finding another decent newer machine on craigslist or something. 

Thanks Drillingmachine for the video card info.  Any idea on how to get it recognized?  Is that simply downloading the driver? 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 01:41 PM

If you pull the card there may be an FCC ID number printed on the card. From the FCC ID number you can trace the card and manufacturer on the FCC site.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/fcc-id-search-page

#11 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

Okay, I think I can do that.  Regardless of what I find, is it normal to have to install some sort of driver for windows to recognize any significant memory on the GPU?

If not, I may have a problem with the card as well or perhaps that was my problem all along. 

Kevin

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:13 PM

GPU-Z should show memory and other info even without drivers. So it may be problem with card itself.

#13 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:03 PM

Is there a way to determine if it's this card, or the MB? 

I am a little handy with this stuff but FAR from any kind of IT person.  I have already bought a HDD and now wonder whether that was even a problem.  I have been struggling getting Win7 installed and updated from the new HDD, and the computer is an old XPS-720 with DDR2 memory.  I see similar computers on ebay and craigslist for 100 bucks or so, so I am a bit wary how much "repair to put into it" vs finding another machine on craigslist or something. 

Kevin

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

You probably can find cheap and used PCI Express video card for under 10 buck. So IMO it's worth to try.

#15 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

I agree and I am looking for one. 

Any suggestions where?  I was checking surround area on craigslist. 

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users