Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How should I upgrade my PC?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KDDomin

KDDomin

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

So I'm planning on upgrading my gaming PC soon, around Christmas time. i just need some opinions on how to upgrade it.

1. The first option is to send the PC back to who I bought it from (It is a pre-built PC by a company named Xidax). There they will get a list of the parts I want and order them, install them, and test the PC. I will obviously pay for the parts and the shipping, but the rest is free of charge (Building and testing). I will send the PC to them so I have to cover shipping and shipping insurgence to their HQ, it will then take 4-5 business days to upgrade it and send it back to me, I will pay for shipping again.

2. Option 2 is to buy the parts myself and install them myself, however their is no warranty on the PC once I do that, for the first option the Warranty continues. I will pay for the parts myself but there is no shipping cost. I myself am very inexperienced at building/ upgrading PCs, because I haven't done either. However, I have google and my friend built his own PC so he knows what hes doing, and there will be no charge to him of course.

The main thing is the warranty on the PC and the testing. I'm just trying to consider my options. 

Also when is the best time to buy PC parts. Like around Black Friday or cyber Monday? Or around Christmas? I'm just trying to get some good deals. Most if not all purchases will be made on amazon. 

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

If you are unsure about your experience, then choice 1 sounds better. It's also better choice if there happens to be DOA parts (so company is responsible for locating faulty part, not you).

Not sure about cyber monday or black friday but Christmas is generally not good time to buy computer parts.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 09 October 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#3 KDDomin

KDDomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:54 PM

If you are unsure about your experience, then choice 1 sounds better. It's also better choice if there happens to be DOA parts (so company is responsible for locating faulty part, not you).

Not sure about cyber monday or black friday but Christmas is generally not good time to buy computer parts.

My friend knows quite a bit about building PCs and he recently just built his brother's PC. All i'm doing is replacing the Motherboard, CPU, GPU, cooling, PSU, and RAM so its not like i'm building it from completely scratch. So does that change anything? Or should I stick with option 1? And do the prices of parts usually go up around Christmas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

IMO...assembling a computer is not rocket science, doesn't require expertise of any sort...other than the ability/willingness to read and follow instructions reflected either in a manual or on the Internet.  The most difficult task is probably mounting the heatsink/coooler...and that's not very hard.  A person with no experence...can assemble a system quite easily as long as they go slowly and follow directions.

Louis

#5 KDDomin

KDDomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

IMO...assembling a computer is not rocket science, doesn't require expertise of any sort...other than the ability/willingness to read and follow instructions reflected either in a manual or on the Internet.  The most difficult task is probably mounting the heatsink/coooler...and that's not very hard.  A person with no experence...can assemble a system quite easily as long as they go slowly and follow directions.

Louis

thanks Louis, that makes me feel a lot more confident in doing it myself. I feel like doing it the first way would just be a lot of extra stuff I dont want to deal with.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:15 AM

Are you the chap that has a b150 with a 6700k that supposedly wants a z170?

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:17 AM

Here is your other thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628889/upgrading-gpu-and-motherboard/#entry4098733

Can you clarify what it is exactly you actually have, and what exactly you want to do?

Edited by Zone_86, 10 October 2016 - 01:18 AM.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:35 AM

My friend knows quite a bit about building PCs and he recently just built his brother's PC. All i'm doing is replacing the Motherboard, CPU, GPU, cooling, PSU, and RAM so its not like i'm building it from completely scratch. So does that change anything? Or should I stick with option 1? And do the prices of parts usually go up around Christmas?

If you replace the motherboard then you might have to buy a new license for Windows. If you have the shop do the repairs, they might know a legal (or a not-so-legal) way to get around this.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 KDDomin

KDDomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

I have a full retail disk of Windows 10 so i'm good on that.

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2016 - 03:17 PM.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

You have a brand new unused license for Windows 10? Then you should be OK.

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2016 - 03:18 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

If he has retail, then no problems.

#12 KDDomin

KDDomin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

You have a brand new unused license for Windows 10? Then you should be OK.

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2016 - 03:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users