Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UEFI Boot sequence

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 freddwyer

freddwyer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

I have a machine I built, 2 or 3 years ago, around an ASUS P8Z77-V LK mother board. It's used for video editing. This Summer I went through a boot problem caused by a Microsoft Win 7 update, which was resolved by turning Secure Boot off in the UEFI. It works like new again, but I find that it will not search down through the boot sequence to find a good boot device (not sure it ever did). In past machines I always put the optical drive at the top of the boot sequence and my preferred OS in second place. That way the machines would boot from the optical device if a bootable disc were installed, or drop down to my preferred OS if no bootable disc were present in the optical drive. This UEFI will only boot from the device at the top of the boot sequence. If the first device isn't bootable, or has no disc, it throws an error message. The only way to boot then, is to boot into the UEFI and move the desired OS device to the top of the boot list.

I'm beginning to believe that this is just the way the UEFI is designed to work. Does anyone know more about the UEFI boot?  Is there a setting I'm missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

On the Asus you need to tap F8 when you see the ASUS logo at boot which should bring up a boot menu allowing you to select the boot device. Set your HDD for first boot device in BIOS and your optical drive second. Select the optical drive using F8 if you need to boot from it.

See page 3-30 of the manual.

Also these links may help

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asus-p8z77-v-lx-boot-drive-order-problem.2291285/

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1702039/asus-p8z77-boot-order-problem-boot-hdd.html

#3 freddwyer

freddwyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Thanks John:

Not automatically stepping down through the boot list seems to be a step backwards in convenience, but obviously not a big thing.  Just wanted to make sure I hadn't "messed up."

Fred

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:41 PM

I can't say it's for this motherboard only but I have not had this issue on a UEFI computer. If you google it seems to be common on this motherboard.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1362311/p8z77-v-pro-priority-boot-problem

Edit: as you know flashing a BIOS has it's problems if it goes bad but the motherboard support site lists 13 BIOS updates depending on your version. I can't say a flash would resolve anything.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 October 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#5 freddwyer

freddwyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

I may try to update the BIOS, but it's such a small inconvenience I'll probably just live with it.  Thanks again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users