Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with rundas!plock? Now cannot boot into Windows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grovep

grovep

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:10 AM

Hi, a few days ago my pc started to slow down tremendously.  I had recently installed the windows 10 anniversary update so the PC was fully up to date.  I ran Malwarebytes and it reported clean.I checked my virus software (Eset) and updated the engine to the latest engine (it was only slightly out of date) and things have spiralled out of control since.    The engine updated itself but after a restart various modules were reporting that they were not functioning despite being enabled.  I uninstalled Eset with a view to re-installing it but uninstalling it failed with Eset reporting that it could not delete certain files.  I tried re-installing Eset but it said I already had the latest version installed.  Windows in the meanwhile was flagging up that I was unprotected and enabled Windows Defender and Firewall.  I then had booting problems where Windows would not boot – even into safe mode or command prompt.  The only way to boot was to go through Windows trouble shooting and select the option boot without early virus software checking (I cannot recall the accurate menu option but it was item 9 I think on the list).  After a couple of reboots the system seemed to behave normally and boot normally.   Until Windows Defender reported a virus Win32/rundas!plock in a file that had been on my HD for some while.  I ran F-secure online (Still unable to install Eset) and Malwarebytes again but both reported nothing .  I then decided to run Windows Defender off line – not creating bootable media but using the option in Windows.  After rebooting the PC, Windows Defender Offline ran prior to Windows booting up, scanned my PC and found nothing.  However it rebooted and went back into Windows Defender Offline and did this several times before I hit cancel on the scanning screen.  It rebooted and now does not get even to the scanning screen.  It is now stuck in the loop power on – Windows trying automatic repair – Windows Defender launching – reboot ….

I have run F-Secure rescue CD and after many hours this found 2 other virus but these were located in deleted emails – probably spam that was put straight into trash.  The computer remains unbootable into Windows

I am thinking next to format HD a reinstall but would appreciate any other suggestions.  Most my data is safe but only Windows Defender detected this and I am concerned that my data may not be clean despite in the past running full scans regularly with Eset and Malwarebytes.

Would it be worth trying to reset the MBR somehow?

Thanks for any advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 grovep

grovep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

I have now replaced the HD with another and done a clean Windows install so urgency is not there.  However I still am uncertain as to my backups being clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users