Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't install onto SSD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:45 AM

Hey guys,

I posted a problem earlier about windows not booting - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628996/black-screen-on-start-up/

Problem is I have an exam tomorrow (the timing!) and I desperately needed some notes off my hardrive (internal storage drive) for that. So I thought I'd bite the bullet and just format the SSD my system is on an start afresh. That way I could get access to my files at the very least. So I tried formatting the SSD the way I normally would. Formatted, deleted the partion, then installed windows on the in unallocated space. It goes through the install process and then restarts. It gets to the windows loading spinning dots screen where it says it is getting things ready and to be patient. After awhile though a box appears on the loading screen which says windows could not be installed on this hardware.

Why would this be the case? It's been on this same hardware before. SSD is only just over a year old and been performing fine.

I should note that when attempting to install windows it goes through this weird process where after it restarts the first time in the install process, it launches the install process again on reboot (enter product key etc) and once installed again then it goes to the "cannot install windows on this hardware" bit. Then if you attempt to reinstall it goes through the same processes again.

So damn frustrating :( usually a wipe everything and start again fix isn't ideal but it always gets the job done...this time it isn't even doing that. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:01 AM

What is the make and model of the computer? Is it UEFI? This computer has two drives, correct?

#3 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:13 AM

It has 2 drives, correct. I disconnected my storage drive to avoid confusion so when I install windows there is only one drive available.

I'm not sure of the make, it was custom built. Not great with specs off the top of my head as I'd normally look in windows for that, but yeah, no access.

It got further in the installation process the (5th?) time I attempted it before the error came..so, that might be progress??

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:20 AM

It could be bad sectors causing the issue from Install Windows screen press Shift + F10 and type Diskpart press Enter key.

Type List Disk press Enter key. From the list of attached disk take note of your SSD disk number and type select disk 0 replace number zero with SSD assign disk number. Next command will delete all partitions and data on them so make sure you have backup your data before typing Clean All and press Enter key. After this command finnish close the Command Prompt and refresh the listed disks from Install Windows screen and try installing Windows 10 to unallocated space if this wont work we may need to full format the SSD drive.

Posted Image

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:39 AM

My suggestion is not in direct answer to your question, but to help you get your notes ASAP. I well-remember college exams!

Use a virtual distro to enter your storage drive and pull your notes off of it. You can review them on-screen, or save to a thumb drive and print them out from another computer/printer.  After the time-crush is over you can install Windows and do whatever it takes. I have seen situations like this go on for a couple of days, and you need time to study. If you aren't sure what disk to use, post back. Fat Dog is pretty good and easy to use, and Knoppix also is one of my favorites.

Another, maybe easier, suggestion is to take your storage drive and just connect it to another computer (maybe the one you are using to access this website) and reboot. The drive should show up in Explore and be assigned a drive letter. Now its easy to pull off your notes, or just review them on-screen. If you are currently using a laptop, you will need an external docking station or a SATA to USB connector-adapter. OR find a friend who has a desktop computer that you can use for a few minutes.

Edited by ranchhand_, 09 October 2016 - 10:43 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users