Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen on start up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:45 AM

Hey guys, really hope you can help with this.

I've seen similar topics but not quite the same. Basically, I was out today and while i was out my computer switched off. It's been really windy and stormy today so I can only assume there was a power outage. But either way i came home and tried to boot my PC. At first it sat on the loading screen (the rotating dots) for ages, way longer than normal. After that it just goes to a totally black screen. This happens any time I try to restart it.

What seems different to most problems is that I have seen people posting with similar issues but have all reported the mouse cursor is available to use on the black screen. Mine is not, I tried waiting for an hour for it to appear and nothing. Some people seem to have had fixed where they can log in to their PC "blind" and then make some changes that fix the black screen but with no mouse or seemingly no ability to use the keyboard at that screen I can't log in to change anything.

I tried restoring to a previous version of Windows but it won't let me. I ran a diagnostic check from the boot up media and it says the scan could not be completed. So I'm not sure how to fix this.

I can't even seem to attempt safe mode. When I use the advanced options on the boot media I don't see an option for Startup settings. It's only system restore, command prompt, image recovery, repair and previous build..

So I really have no idea what to do...suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:53 AM

Update: Attempted to start in safemode using the command prompt. No such luck, still sticks on the black screen

#3 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:35 AM

Actually guys, don't worry, not sure how to delete this topic. Decided to just format and start afresh. That of course is causing its own issues, will refer to that thread instead

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:50 AM

What happens when you press Ctrl + Shift + Esc buttons?

"Repair Windows Explorer not Starting During Login into Windows O/S"
https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50

Posted Image

#5 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

It was completely unresponsive to all keyboard input at that screen. I'd read a few places where Ctrl alt del prompts something but did nothing in this case

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:03 AM

The Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys when press together will open Task Manager if you have login to Windows but there was issue starting Windows Explorer because nothing happens when you press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys your computer is getting stuck at boot time and not loading the Windows. You can use System Restore tool and Automatic Repair (Startup Repair) tool from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). Visit my tutorial link for more information also you should check and repair NTFS file System and mark bad blocks (Sectors) with executing Chkdsk C: /r command.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users