Hellow fellas, i was adviced to ask my questions here hoping for some assistance, and before all please excuse my poor english.I will try to be as simple as posible..
An year ago i was assigned to work in neighbouring town and i had to share apartent with few people from collage that i did not trust that much, and by the end we were in very bad relations so moved out. Now since one of them have quite good knowlage about software and stuff (although not professional as far as i know), i fear they may had something installed on my Dell Inspiron laptop. I mostly fear about keyloggers and remote control programs. Now apart from our mutual dislike, we are also working in rival companies now so i do believe there is reason for something like this to had happned.
I always though that simply locking my lapotop with windowss password would be enough, but recently friends told me that it is possible for someone to plant keylogger on to your device even when locked- by using bad usb or similar stuff. Once he had my password he could easily access the laptop while i am out. So here are my questions:
1. Can keylogger really be installed on my laptop while my windows is locked, whitout me noticing anything when i log in?
2. If they couldnt had pulled number 1
- If they had tiny flash inserted into the laptop- that i had not noticed-, can it imediatlly on autorun install something the moment i unlock the windows and without any message or pop up showing, telling me something is being installed? Like to leave the flash drive inserted, waiting for me to unlock the laptop so the flash to install something completly invisibly on autorun (i hope you got my point here)
3. Can any harware device be used in laptop as keylogger, if so where could they had put it?
3. Lets assume the worst that they had access to my laptop, now i know that keylogger is easy to pull of, my most worry is for remote control. Once i left the apartment, could they systematicly control my laptop remotely from far distance? Without me noticing anything at all? Again i am not talking about single accessing, i ask if they are able to pull it for long periods of time, like for months.Also if they are able to boot my laptop from sleeping again from long distance. I usually just close the lid, i rearly shut it down.
I fear remote control beacuse if they did something, it would be my ip that would be traced not theris, and i will be in trouble and it will be very hard to convice people that my laptop was remotely used (I live in Bulgaria, my bosses probably wont even imagine these things are possible) Could they somehow (if they had access) disabled antivirus programs from chasing these programs- like manualy to set avast not to block it.
I belive the question become way to long and most of you will probably blame me for being over paranoid, but those are the questions, Thing is almost years passed since i left and it will be very hard for me to prove something was installed so long ago, but if it had and it was active all that long they could have stole huge amounts of info already. And i know most of you will give me advice how to protect my self from now on, but i also need to know if it already happened so i want to know how possible those things are to happen? if ou want more info please tell me. Thanks all
Edited by resertedlab, 09 October 2016 - 12:44 AM.