Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Antimalware for iDevices

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BattIefists

BattIefists

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:03 PM

In your opinion, what is the best antivirus/antimalware software for an iDevice?

I currently use the free version of: "Lookout".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:25 PM

Take a look at this topic :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522280/good-anti-virus-and-anti-malware-software-for-iphone-5s/

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

There is effectively no such thing as anti-malware for an un-jailbroken iPhone. Because of the way that Apple has the iOS designed and effectly locked down, no app can do the types of things an anti-malware/anti-virus program needs to do in order to remove malware and for the most part even scan for malware. This is for the most part true of malware/viruses as well. As long as you don't jailbreak your iPhone, for the most part there is no way that malware can infect your iPhone.

So, any anti-malware program that you find in the App Store will not actually be able to remove any malware that has infected your iPhone. Any anti-malware program on the App Store generally will be aimed at removing malware that can affect other devices (i.e. mainly Windows computers) by scanning your email. And generally these programs will then need your login credentials for your email account so that it can access your email on the email server and scan them there.

Now, this is not to say that an un-jailbroken iPhone is 100% secure from malware. An iPhone can still be attacked through vulnerabilities of the design and/or bugs in the iOS. One such recently discovered vulnerability is Pegasus.  Generally, these vulnerabilities and/or bugs still require the user to do something before your iPhone can be infected (in the case of Pegasus, typically after receiving a text message with a link to a web site designed to exploit the vulnerability [but could be an email message or something else with the bad link], the user needed to click the link).  So, for the most part, as long as you regularly keep you iPhone up to date and practice "safe computing" techniques (i.e. don't click on links in emails or text messages that are from people you don't know or from people you do not know, but are unexpected, etc), it is incredibly unlikely that you would be compromised by any of these exploits.

Now, if you have jailbroken your iPhone, then that is a completely different story.

As to Lookout, for the most part it is a completely unnecessary app to have on your iPhone and there is virtually no reason that I can see to pay their monthly/yearly subscription.  

Almost all of the free features of the Lookout app can be done (and potentially better) by way of free iCloud features built into your iPhone.  The ability to locate your iPhone, make it sound an alarm, and display a message on an iPhone can be done with Find My Phone function built into iCloud.  In addition, the Find My Phone function  built into iCloud can actually lock your device remotely if you do not already have a passcode and can wipe your device remotely.  iCloud will also sync your contacts to the iCloud server and other Apple devices or a Windows computer by way of iCloud for Windows.  iCloud can also backup your entire iPhone (contacts included) if your want it to, but this option may or may not end up resulting in your  paying Apple for more iCloud storage depending on how much stuff is on your iPhone.  The other advantage of the Find My Phone function of iCloud is that it includes Activation Lock.  If someone steals your iPhone (and you cannot have it recovered using Find My Phone), with Find My Phone turned on, that person theoretically cannot activate that phone with another mobile phone carrier.  In other words, it theoretically makes the iPhone useless to the thief.

About the only free feature built into Lookout that might be worthwhile is the ability to check to see if your iPhone is impacted by Pegasus.  In theory, Lookout under the Security tab can determine if your iPhone has been compromised by Pegasus.  I will note that this assumes your iPhone is updated to the most current version of iOS (which at this point is 10.0.2).  If it is not updated to the most recent version of iOS (i.e. you have not updated to iOS 10 yet, like me), then all you get is a message saying you are not using the most current iOS version.  Of course, if you have not clicked on any links from unknown sources, then you already are very unlikely to be compromised by Pegasus.

As for Lookout's paid features, one can be done by other means for free and the other may or may not be worthwhile.  The photo backup can be done by many other ways, some of which are free (i.e. sync your iPhone to a computer, use Dropbox or similar service as long as the amount of your photos do not exceed the storage provided by the free version of those services, iCloud/My Photostream as long as you do not exceed the free storage provided by Apple).  The theft alerts might be worthwhile to some, but may be more hassle than they are worth depending on how their "algorithm" works (in other words, it will matter how they "notice behavior that could mean [your iPhone] has been stolen".

#4 BattIefists

BattIefists
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

There is effectively no such thing as anti-malware for an un-jailbroken iPhone. Because of the way that Apple has the iOS designed and effectly locked down, no app can do the types of things an anti-malware/anti-virus program needs to do in order to remove malware and for the most part even scan for malware. This is for the most part true of malware/viruses as well. As long as you don't jailbreak your iPhone, for the most part there is no way that malware can infect your iPhone.

So, any anti-malware program that you find in the App Store will not actually be able to remove any malware that has infected your iPhone. Any anti-malware program on the App Store generally will be aimed at removing malware that can affect other devices (i.e. mainly Windows computers) by scanning your email. And generally these programs will then need your login credentials for your email account so that it can access your email on the email server and scan them there.

Now, this is not to say that an un-jailbroken iPhone is 100% secure from malware. An iPhone can still be attacked through vulnerabilities of the design and/or bugs in the iOS. One such recently discovered vulnerability is Pegasus.  Generally, these vulnerabilities and/or bugs still require the user to do something before your iPhone can be infected (in the case of Pegasus, typically after receiving a text message with a link to a web site designed to exploit the vulnerability [but could be an email message or something else with the bad link], the user needed to click the link).  So, for the most part, as long as you regularly keep you iPhone up to date and practice "safe computing" techniques (i.e. don't click on links in emails or text messages that are from people you don't know or from people you do not know, but are unexpected, etc), it is incredibly unlikely that you would be compromised by any of these exploits.

Now, if you have jailbroken your iPhone, then that is a completely different story.

As to Lookout, for the most part it is a completely unnecessary app to have on your iPhone and there is virtually no reason that I can see to pay their monthly/yearly subscription.  

Almost all of the free features of the Lookout app can be done (and potentially better) by way of free iCloud features built into your iPhone.  The ability to locate your iPhone, make it sound an alarm, and display a message on an iPhone can be done with Find My Phone function built into iCloud.  In addition, the Find My Phone function  built into iCloud can actually lock your device remotely if you do not already have a passcode and can wipe your device remotely.  iCloud will also sync your contacts to the iCloud server and other Apple devices or a Windows computer by way of iCloud for Windows.  iCloud can also backup your entire iPhone (contacts included) if your want it to, but this option may or may not end up resulting in your  paying Apple for more iCloud storage depending on how much stuff is on your iPhone.  The other advantage of the Find My Phone function of iCloud is that it includes Activation Lock.  If someone steals your iPhone (and you cannot have it recovered using Find My Phone), with Find My Phone turned on, that person theoretically cannot activate that phone with another mobile phone carrier.  In other words, it theoretically makes the iPhone useless to the thief.

About the only free feature built into Lookout that might be worthwhile is the ability to check to see if your iPhone is impacted by Pegasus.  In theory, Lookout under the Security tab can determine if your iPhone has been compromised by Pegasus.  I will note that this assumes your iPhone is updated to the most current version of iOS (which at this point is 10.0.2).  If it is not updated to the most recent version of iOS (i.e. you have not updated to iOS 10 yet, like me), then all you get is a message saying you are not using the most current iOS version.  Of course, if you have not clicked on any links from unknown sources, then you already are very unlikely to be compromised by Pegasus.

As for Lookout's paid features, one can be done by other means for free and the other may or may not be worthwhile.  The photo backup can be done by many other ways, some of which are free (i.e. sync your iPhone to a computer, use Dropbox or similar service as long as the amount of your photos do not exceed the storage provided by the free version of those services, iCloud/My Photostream as long as you do not exceed the free storage provided by Apple).  The theft alerts might be worthwhile to some, but may be more hassle than they are worth depending on how their "algorithm" works (in other words, it will matter how they "notice behavior that could mean [your iPhone] has been stolen".

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the amazing, detailed response!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users