Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Overheating Issue

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jadefox02

Jadefox02

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:36 PM

Hey, friends!

So, I have a relatively aged laptop (Asus N53SV, 2011). It's done well for me for years, games decently, I work in video and design so it has done well in that department.

Recently, however, it has begun overheating. Idle temps at 40-50C. Google Chrome open its between 55-65C, gaming it goes to about 80C and has even pushed to the 90s when rendering out a video and crashing.

Cracked it open and dusted as best I could, compressed air, vacuum the vent. No luck it seems. Should I take a look at the CPU heat sink? Perhaps replace the paste? Any recommendations are welcome!

I need to get a new PC soon, but in the meantime, I'd like to keep this one around if there are any suggestions...!

SPECS:
CPU: Intel® Core i7 2670QM Processor (2.2Ghz)
Chipset: Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
Memory: 16gb
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M

Attached Files

Edited by Jadefox02, 08 October 2016 - 10:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:22 AM

Hi, Jadefox.

I would almost certainly think the TIM (thermal interface material, or 'paste') probably needs replacing.....especially if you're reaching those kinds of temperatures. The longer it continues like that, the more the paste will harden and dry out, necessitating replacement sooner or later.

There's a couple of videos here which show disassembly, etc, for this model:-

Laptops are, of course, much more more liable to overheating than tower PCs; there isn't the space for air to circulate, for one thing. And it takes a lot less dust and fluff to clog things up with a lappie!

While it's apart, clean everything thoroughly. An old, well-worn narrow paint brush (1/2"-1") will do this nicely, especially if it's genuine bristle; they don't generate static, and are much softer than man-made fibres. I know everybody advises to use Arctic Silver 5, but to be perfectly honest, any good quality TIM will do the job perfectly well. I've had good results for several years using CoolerMaster's E-1 IC Essential paste. It keeps the temps on my old dual-core Athlon64 X2 down around the 25-30C mark most of the time.....and the X2s are gas-guzzlers, by modern standards.  And Arctic Silver 5, by all accounts, is showing its age; it no longer performs as well as some of the more recent offerings out there.....and isn't as easy to work with.

It's more to do with getting the stuff on correctly, than how expensive it is; expensive doesn't always mean best!

There's any number of vids on YouTube as to how you put the stuff on. I find the best methods are the 'pea' and/or 'x' methods. And you don't need much; it's only got to fill the imperfections in the flat surfaces.....without producing air bubbles.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 09 October 2016 - 06:30 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

Hi
Simple test, How hot is the air coming out of the vent, if it is Hot and low flow You are clogged, normally this will also result in the fan racing as the speed is temperature controlled.

FWIW this is often caused by clogged fins on the heatsink. Looking at the second video linked above at the 11:54 Minute mark You can see the Heat Sink and fan Assembly. At that point I would try using a can of computer air to blow backwards through the cooling fins. Notice the Fan near the bottom right Under the Black plastic cover. The Fins are by the Outside where You will see vent openings and usually feel the air coming out from the fan. Gently hold the fan when blowing backwards through the vents for cleaning to prevent over-speeding the fan. You will most likely see Dust and fluff blow out of the opening by the fan blades during this process.

Warning: Be Very careful The Connectors used in laptops are delicate and easily damaged. If that happens it is likely time to replace the Motherboard as they are not easily fixed.

There are other causes for this problem such as a defective heat pipe in the heatsink assembly, Rare but I have seen it when I was working in a computer repair facility. CPU usage running at 100% will also elevate temperatures, Normally that also will cause a reduction in performance. However as the CPU runs hotter it's speed will also be throttled back to reduce heat output.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

Simple test, How hot is the air coming out of the vent, if it is Hot and low flow You are clogged, normally this will also result in the fan racing as the speed is temperature controlled.

My old Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop averages out around 55-60C, most of the time; idles around the 47-48C mark. Mind you, we are talking about a 13 yr-old machine, running a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 (not a 'Prescott', thankfully!) The air coming out of the vent is very hot......but it comes out at full flow. That's just 'par for the course' with the 1100, and its 'big' brother, the 5100. You'd be forgiven for thinking you'd cranked-up a hot air paint stripper..!  :lol:

She gets a regular spring-clean, twice a year. Every 6 months, regular as clockwork, she's stripped right down, and thoroughly cleaned out. I pay particular attention to the heatsink area, as Dell's famously lousy 'thermal solution' is in play here; Dells of this era were well known for running hot. 

Every other strip-down, once a year, the heatpipe comes off, and I re-do the TIM.....whether it needs it or not. I always take the view that computers, just like automobiles, need regular TLC.....and the more so, the older they get. Probably why mine last me so long! Mind you, the fact that it's built like a brick outhouse could have something to do with it, too.....  :P

We've been some places together, this last 12 years or so!

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 09 October 2016 - 07:05 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

P.S. Heads up to the Original Poster do not keep running it overheated until You kill the Motherboard,

Good Luck

Roger

My old Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop averages out around 55-60C, most of the time; idles around the 47-48C mark. Mind you, we are talking about a 13 yr-old machine, running a 2.6 GHz Pentium 4 (not a 'Prescott', thankfully!) The air coming out of the vent is very hot......but it comes out at full flow. That's just 'par for the course' with the 1100, and its 'big' brother, the 5100. You'd be forgiven for thinking you'd cranked-up a hot air paint stripper..!  :lol:

She gets a regular spring-clean, twice a year. Every 6 months, regular as clockwork, she's stripped right down, and thoroughly cleaned out. I pay particular attention to the heatsink area, as Dell's famously lousy 'thermal solution' is in play here; Dells of this era were well known for running hot. 

Every other strip-down, once a year, the heatpipe comes off, and I re-do the TIM.....whether it needs it or not. I always take the view that computers, just like automobiles, need regular TLC.....and the more so, the older they get. Probably why mine last me so long! Mind you, the fact that it's built like a brick outhouse could have something to do with it, too.....  :P

We've been some places together, this last 12 years or so!

Hi Mike

I have a Old Sager 5600 laptop 2.2 Ghz that is a Desktop CPU that runs pretty hot too. It still works and I am thinking the best use for it is Windows XP as anything else runs sort of slow due to it being maxed out at 1Gb memory. and it is a 32bit Processor.

I figure if I make a image so I can easily restore it just in case I can use XP for the forums. I have a image of XP currently and it is now installed with Windows 7 32 bit and runs like a dog, Anything You click takes time to load or happen.

Anyway The air coming out of it runs pretty hot too. Actually I have a newer Acer with a AMD CPU that puts out a fairly warm stream of air too and I know it is spotless. I bought that Right after Windows 7 was released to the Public and used it to learn Windows 7.

So I agree some laptops just run warm. I remember That model of Dell. I sold some from where I working back when they were a new model. I think what I was getting at is that if it gets hot enough to shut off or the fan constantly races there is a problem. I replaced the motherboard in a pair of Toshiba laptops under warranty that failed from the owners running them them until they thermal shut down from new until they would not run period. I traced that to defective Heat pipes from the CPU to the Heatsink. It was a easy diagnosis. The CPU got hot and the heat sink stayed cool.

Have a Good Day

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:12 AM

Hi, Roger.

Mm. With regards to your old Sager laptop, it sounds about the same specs as my old Dell. I triple-boot 3 flavours of Puppy Linux on it.....and it runs brilliantly. I upgraded the 20 GB Hitachi Travelstar around 6 months ago to an IDE/PATA 64GB KingSpec SSD; made a hell of a difference. I'm just about to try something out; she's had the 1 GB max that Dell state is all the mobo will take for 3/4 yrs, yet I've heard reports that the chipset will actually handle 2 GB RAM... So I've sent off for a pair of 1 GB DDR1 PC-3200 200-pin SoDIMMs, just to see what happens. They should be here tomorrow!

Yes, I'd recommend trying Puppy out. The whole thing loads into RAM, and runs from there; it'll certainly be an improvement over XP, I guarantee.....

http://puppylinux.com/

Have a look. Puppy's very user friendly; we get a lot of XP refugees trying it out. It's got a very similar layout, too.....with 'wizards' and 'tooltips' galore for beginners. See what you think. I'll sign off this subject now, before I get accused of derailing the thread..!  :P

BTW: That is, of course, the thing of it. Half the reason Dells of that era ran hot like they did was because they weren't using the low-power mobile CPUs & chipsets that are standard nowadays; those weren't even on the drawing board at that time. The 1100 is running a full desktop Pentium 4 CPU.....just like yours. The 2.6 GHz is pulling 63W TDP.....

Go figure..! :rolleyes: People think I'm nuts when I tell them how old it is.....but, to me, if it still works, why throw it away for the sake of buying new?

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 October 2016 - 10:20 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 Jadefox02

Jadefox02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

Thank you all so much for your informative posts, I've invested in some external coolers which have helped substantially and have also ordered some thermal compound.

Thank you @Mike_Walsh for attaching the videos as well, saves me some Googling! I've cracked open the laptop over a dozen times to fix various other issues (PSU unit busting and so forth) but never payed attention to the CPU location. This helps!

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

Hi, Roger.

Mm. With regards to your old Sager laptop, it sounds about the same specs as my old Dell. I triple-boot 3 flavours of Puppy Linux on it.....and it runs brilliantly. I upgraded the 20 GB Hitachi Travelstar around 6 months ago to an IDE/PATA 64GB KingSpec SSD; made a hell of a difference. I'm just about to try something out; she's had the 1 GB max that Dell state is all the mobo will take for 3/4 yrs, yet I've heard reports that the chipset will actually handle 2 GB RAM... So I've sent off for a pair of 1 GB DDR1 PC-3200 200-pin SoDIMMs, just to see what happens. They should be here tomorrow!

Yes, I'd recommend trying Puppy out. The whole thing loads into RAM, and runs from there; it'll certainly be an improvement over XP, I guarantee.....

http://puppylinux.com/

Have a look. Puppy's very user friendly; we get a lot of XP refugees trying it out. It's got a very similar layout, too.....with 'wizards' and 'tooltips' galore for beginners. See what you think. I'll sign off this subject now, before I get accused of derailing the thread..!  :P

BTW: That is, of course, the thing of it. Half the reason Dells of that era ran hot like they did was because they weren't using the low-power mobile CPUs & chipsets that are standard nowadays; those weren't even on the drawing board at that time. The 1100 is running a full desktop Pentium 4 CPU.....just like yours. The 2.6 GHz is pulling 63W TDP.....

Go figure..! :rolleyes: People think I'm nuts when I tell them how old it is.....but, to me, if it still works, why throw it away for the sake of buying new?

Hi Mike

Thank You for the Feedback. The last time I looked IDE SSD drives were very price, most likely due to low demand compared to SATA SSD drives. I can believe a SSD made a bid difference I did install a customer supplied one and clone the old drive to it and there was a nice difference in performance. Has that price differential changed?

I though about Linux too. OTOH I did try a XP Upgrade version on it for testing and do all the security upgrade that were available....

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

@Jadefox:-

Glad to be able to help. It's so much easier these days, what with being able to find vids on just about anything you care to name. So much easier than trying to laboriously explain everything step-by-step..!

@rotor123:-

Hi, Rog. Mmm... Well, it depends on the brand, and obviously the size. I think I paid around £47 GBP for a 64GB SSD. Pata/IDE, of course; KingSpec are a Taiwanese firm, who from the look of things sell exclusively through eBay, here in the UK. I can also recommend Transcend; the first SSD for the Dell was a 32GB Transcend. I used that for a couple of months, then decided I wanted something a wee bit bigger....but the Transcend 64GB is a bit out of my price range. They're rather dearer in the first place....but the build quality is exquisite; you do get what you pay for with 'em! Transcend are only just moving out of the industrial 'embedded' sector to the consumer sector....hence why their stuff is a bit pricier (but it's rugged as hell, and built like a tank in the first place.....looks like it would probably survive an encounter with one, too!)

In both cases, they use MLC NAND flash.....which keeps the price down compared to the SLC stuff the top of the range SSDs use. But essentially I've gone from:-

2.2 GHz Celeron

128 MB RAM

20 GB HDD

...to:-

2.6 GHz Pentium 4

1 GB RAM

64 GB SSD (plus 2 x 64 GB SanDisk Ultra 'Fit' USB 3.0 'nano' flash drives in the rear ports as 'external' storage) ; total storage now 192 GB.

Big increase..! Works, too; despite it being USB 3.0 in a 2.0 port, you do actually get quite a substantial speed increase.....especially between the flash drives and the SSD. Equivalent to hardware performance from 3-4 generations later, I would estimate (especially when you consider that most 2.0 flashdrives never get anywhere the maximum transfer rate for 2.0, anyway).  Just goes to show that patient. gradual upgrading of key components can still keep old hardware useful.....by making use of technological advances over time. Works for me.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 10 October 2016 - 06:14 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:08 AM

Hi Mike
I looked on Amazon and pulled the trigger on this one:
64GB Transcend PSD330 2.5-inch IDE Internal SSD Solid State Disk (MLC Flash)
Price: $87.35 US Dollars & FREE Shipping
I looked at the KingSpec and the User reviews seemed much more problematic compared to the Transcend. Having said that the KingSpec was cheaper at $59

It will be interesting to see how the SSD works compared to the regular hard drive if I clone the same Windows 7 to it :)

I have been only buying USB3 storage devices for a couple of years after putting a USB 3 PCI express card in this computer, The speed difference is great.

Have a Nice Day

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

Hi, Roger.

Snap! Same here; bought a Transcend PDU3 PCIe USB 3.0 adapter card, and haven't looked back since. The improved transfer rate is quite an eye-opener after USB 2.0. I don't use the single PCIe slot for a graphics card; I don't game, and the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 integrated graphics still give a pin-sharp picture, even after all these years.....nothing I do is graphics-intensive. So I thought I might as well put it to good use!

You'll not regret buying the Transcend if you decide to go for it. I'd recommend them to anyone.

BTW, I've just done something today with the 1100 that Dell themselves said was impossible; I've proved that the 845GL chipset will support 2 GB of DDR1 PC-3200 RAM. Gradual, patient upgrading with newer tech as it's come onto the market means that my 1100 is now higher spec than its 'big' brother, the 5100, used to be.....and the 1100 is still very usable for what I do (especially running 'Puppy').

Now, if only that P4 would run cooler....!   :rolleyes:  :P

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 11 October 2016 - 06:16 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users