Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any ideas how to mount a desktop PSU in a server case?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:13 PM

I picked up an old Intel Core 2 quad based server recently. This is just going to be a toy so no need for server grade components. The PSU(300w) that came with it only has Molex connections and the MB has 1 IDE connection and a bunch of SATA ports. I've got an EVGA 430w PSU floating around that I'd like to put in(it would also help quiet the server down). Problem I'm running into server PSU has a larger hole and different mounting than the desktop PSU. My current thinking is to make an adapter plate to mount the the case and the desktop PSU to mount the the plate(I already have suitable materials on hand.) 

Any ideas?

Machine's main job as I see it now is a Linux distro test machine.

Edited by hamluis, 09 October 2016 - 09:28 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

I made a functional adapter plate last week, nothing I' m going to post and I'd probably remake it with a few modifications. However, today I came accross 4 Molex to SATA  power adapters. I'm considering putting the Server power Supply back in with those, I'm also considering swapping out the fan in the PSU to solve the noise issue. It's just a 2pin connector on the fan. Not worried about warranty of anything like that as the whole system is salvaged. I've also had success swapping fans in PSU's before that were soldered in so this isn't difficult.

PSU options:

IStar TC-300R8(300w redundant Hot-Swap power Supply 300wx2)

or

430w EVGA 80 Plus

System Specs:

Intel Core2Quad

8Gb DDR3

2 DVD-Rom drives((1) IDE w/ Molex Power, (1) Sata w/ Sata Power)

Several HDD(up to 4, mostly 2.5", will vary as I'm planning on setting up 1 Hot swap bay for misc drives(or I may get a USB Sata dock))

Basic dual VGA graphics card(no onboard Graphics), planning on using a software KVM of some kind once it's set up

Usage of the machine will be occasional Virtual machine host(Windows versions(I have no windows machines, but occasionally have need of Windows Programs) & new Linux distro testing.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users