Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New User Account Administrator

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EnigmaUser

EnigmaUser

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

Hello, I reinstalled windows today due to a problem I was having with my laptop.  When I reinstalled it however, I noticed a new account that had not been there previously, the administrator account.  My current account has administrator access, I would like to know what the difference is between my current account, and the administrator one.  What I do know is it came with my computer, and it has elevated admin access.  I guess what I'm really asking is is it suitable for everyday use, or should I not use it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:27 PM

The Administrator Account has higher privileges than a normal admin account. This account is usually hidden. I'm surprised it's enabled.

If you have a current admin account open an elevated command prompt by pressing the Windows key + X > cmd as admin.

Type the following command.

net user administrator /active:no

This will hide the Administrator account.

#3 EnigmaUser

EnigmaUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:42 PM

I did that earlier today, and it completely disabled all my admin access to my regular account as well.  I then has to reinstall windows AGAIN to get the access back.

Edit: I was unable to find a way to change it back without a reinstall.  Safeboot might have worked though.

Edited by EnigmaUser, 08 October 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:21 AM

The JohnC_21 provided command line will not disable any other user accounts that are standard or administrator user accounts this command line only disables Windows build-in Administrator user account which by default disabled user account.
There was way to resolve your issue if you had ask for help like you could have enabled build-in administrator account from registry editor within Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) details are at below link.

"How to Enable Windows Build-in Administrator Account From Windows RE"
https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=153

Edited by FreeBooter, 09 October 2016 - 07:22 AM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#5 EnigmaUser

EnigmaUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:21 AM

I previously tried the command given by JohnC, and it disabled the admin privledges on my normal account as well.  Thanks for the info though on how to enable it if I want to disable my administrator again.

Edit: I was unable to access regedit, because neither of my accounts had admin privledges, and I could only log in with guest access from my normal account.

Edited by EnigmaUser, 09 October 2016 - 08:22 AM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

You are very welcome.

You must be using build-in Administrator user account because that command only disables build-in Administrator user account.

- Dalai Lama

#7 EnigmaUser

EnigmaUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:33 AM

It disabled the admin account completely so I couldn't log in, and it also disabled my admin access on the other account.  Would it be possible that my computer is treating my regular account as an admin account as well?

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

It disabled the admin account completely so I couldn't log in, and it also disabled my admin access on the other account.  Would it be possible that my computer is treating my regular account as an admin account as well?

That command as you notice has Administrator user account that is been disabled so to disable all user accounts including user accounts that are member of Administrators group you will have to replace Administrator user account name with any other account you want to disable. For example to disable user account name FreeBooter which is member of the Administrators group you will type Net user FreeBooter  /active:no command to disable FreeBooter user account. 

- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users