Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC doesn't detect graphics card anymore. Graphics card confirmed working on anot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zombekas

Zombekas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:16 PM

My PC doesn't detect my graphics card anymore.

Specs:
How this happened:

I have a Cooler Master 212 Evo CPU cooler. I've been using it for ~3 years now, and the default fan it came with  got worn out, the bearing stared squeaking. I decided to swap it for two Corsair SP120 fans in a push-pull configuration.
I removed the old push fan, swapped it out for a new one, didn't add the pull fan yet. I plugged the new fan to CPU2 socket instead of CPU1 like before, I did this on purpose since the pull fan was going to be closer to CPU1.
I started my PC, just to check if the push fan was working fine. It was. However my graphics card was not. I have no idea how this happened, since I hardly even touched it. Maybe some dust while changing the CPU fans.

What I've tried:

I have 2 displays - one plugged into the graphics card, another plugged into the motherboard, and using Intel HD graphics 4600. My PC was booting just fine, except only the display plugged into the motherboard was working, the one plugged into the graphics card was getting no signal. The LEDs on the graphics card light up, but the fans don't spin - however I don't think they're supposed to - it's one of those cards which only turns on the fans when it reaches 50C or something like that.

After rebooting my PC a few times, I removed the graphics card, plugged it back in. Didn't help. I went to BIOS, and checked the board explorer - it said the PCIe slot was empty. At this point I was thinking my graphics card died, which was quite saddening, since it was only a few months old. To confirm, I took the card to my gf's place - to my surpsise, it was working just fine on her rig.
After getting home and plugging it in, I forgot to plug the additional PCIe power cables. My display actually lit up, with a warning message telling me to plug the additional power cables. After doing so, no luck, remained black just like before. Still empty PCIe.

I tried resetting my CMOS, which did nothing apart from screwing up my RAID (d'oh!!). Can't update my BIOS, since I have the latest version which I installed a few months ago.
Tomorrow I'll bring another graphics card to test in my rig, and see if that one gets ignored as well.

TLDR:
I was changing my CPU fan, when my graphics card stopped working. I tested it on another rig and it was actually working, however my BIOS says that the PCIe slot is empty. While in my rig, all the LEDs on the card light up.

What could be the problem? All ideas appreciated! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:40 PM

If you haven't tried a different card slot, that would be the next step, attempt to verify whether it's the video card or the MOBO itself.  I have seen many cracked and broken slot connectors along with assorted debris lodged in the slot causing poor connections.

#3 Zombekas

Zombekas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:26 AM

I fixed it!

I tried another PCIe power cable from the PSU - that actually solved it. It could be a faulty cable, or something in the PSU socket - something I probably messed up on accident while changing the CPU fan. Either way, using another cable fixed the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users