Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIndows 7 Fresh Install Questions.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:46 PM

With my CyberpowerPC that I'm using which is out of warranty, came a Windows 7 Disc who's label information I'll quote below. My somewhat complex yet very important question is this. If my current HDD dies & I replace it with a new one, upon inserting the OEM Windows 7 disc into my optical drive, do I simply just re-install onto the new HDD or what?

Disc Label Information: "The software included on this recovery Media was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of your Cyberpower, Inc. computer system. Performance of the software is the sole responsibility of Cyberpower, Inc."

The only reason why I'm concerned at all is due to other different yet related advice I received on the Microsoft forums. I've become somewhat scared to ever perform a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 because it's an OEM version. Which apparently is tied to the Motherboard in such a way that it results in massive complications.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1709 (Build 16299.334) | MasterCase Pro 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:07 PM

Read this

https://blog.hqcodeshop.fi/archives/207-Transferring-Windows-7-OEM-license-to-a-new-hard-drive.html

#3 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:42 PM

Thank you.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1709 (Build 16299.334) | MasterCase Pro 3

#4 Banjojoe

Banjojoe

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this relates to me.   I'm not trasferring any thing.  All I want is the latest updates that were erased when I did the so called "system recovery" I'm not re-installing.

Again:  Is there any way to just download the missing updates? Nothing Else!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

Windows Update...select the updates you want installed from those presented.

Louis

#6 Bambinoo

Bambinoo

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this relates to me.   I'm not trasferring any thing.  All I want is the latest updates that were erased when I did the so called "system recovery" I'm not re-installing.

(@Banjojoe ...With all due respect..this doesn't relate to you at all !!)

To the OP: by all means just reinstall and use the key from the label on your PC or whatever valid COA you have for that machine.

I doubt you'll have any issues reactivating. If you do, post back and we'll help you out.

Edited by Bambinoo, 09 October 2016 - 07:39 PM.

#7 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

(@Banjojoe ...With all due respect..this doesn't relate to you at all !!)

To the OP: by all means just reinstall and use the key from the label on your PC or whatever valid COA you have for that machine.

I doubt you'll have any issues reactivating. If you do, post back and we'll help you out.

Awesome, I'll just keep using my current HDD then & if it goes out will replace then. Thanks, you've saved me some money that probably didn't need spending. It's not showing any signs of failure yet, I was only concerned at all because it's 61 months old at ~15 hours of use a day.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

Well...you need to remember...no hard drive is obliged to give warning when failure is imminent or happening.

That said...I suggest making timely backups in a routine manner...rather than thinking that the eternal "tomorrow" or "sometime" that we all invoke...is not around the corner.  I find it wise to have a replacement in hand...before the drive fails or other things go wrong...that's cheap insurance for what otherwise could be a lot pointless irritation and hindsight.

Louis

#9 Banjojoe

Banjojoe

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

Just a quick update:  Problem Solved!

First I Updated Internet Explorer 11 :https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

Then I went here:  http://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how-to-update-windows-7-all-at-once-with-microsofts-convenience-rollup/  Just followed the directions.

Now my computer works the way it did before the crash.  Thanks

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

@banjojoe #4 & 9

Your first post into this topic was split off into its own topic, this is the link -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629018/post-recovery-questions/#entry4099105

For future reference the best policy is one problem - one topic. So any time you have a problem in the future, start a new topic. The reason is that while problems can sound similar they can in fact have many different causes.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users