Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is this screen after pressing F12 during startup?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:16 PM

What is this screen called, and what can be done with it, or how exactly to use it:

Windows Boot Manager
Other Options:
     Diagnostics
     Enter Setup
     Peripheral Device Setting (OPROM Setting)
     BIOS Flash Update
     Change Boot Mode Setting

This is the screen that appears when press F12 key when seeing the computer brand name at computer startup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:30 PM

It's exactly what it says it is:  the Unified Extensible Firware Interface (UEFI) screen showing its main menu.

UEFI is the "next generation" boot control process and what used to be BIOS is subsumed under it.

In answer to your question "what can be done with it" there are two answers (neither of which is intended as dismissive or snarky):

1. It's impossible to answer in any comprehensive way that's brief and understandable.
  2. If you have to ask then it's not something that you, for any you, have any business playing with except under guidance.

UEFI is an integral part of the boot process and you do not want to be tinkering with it without reason and, if you're unfamiliar with it, without guidance.  If you want to see the sort of things you'll find under the UEFI menus, though they won't be exactly the same between makers, see the thread entitled, 

UEFI Boot Example from HP 15 Series Laptop

that I created back in December of last year.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

Britechguy,

That is a beginning.  I checked your article posting http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599390/uefi-boot-example-from-hp-15-series-laptop/ and maybe there are choices I could make there, but as you warn, I will usually leave it alone. 

Reason for asking:  I can or would make a rescue disk (on DVD), and would one day try to use it.  I must start the computer and not let Windows start, but make the computer start into the rescue disk on DVD.  The older computer with Windows Vista will let me press F12 key during startup and brings up a Boot Menu, letting me make a choice which device to "boot" to; I would choose CD/DVD and this will start the computer into the rescue disk.  I do not yet know firmly how to do the same with Windows 10.  Maybe starting the UEFI screen and making choices leading to change boot priority order?     Or maybe do not mess with changing boot priority order, but instead learn a long convoluted way which is also available in Windows 10 using Windows 10, a method I still do not yet feel ready to try.    Something about Restarts and Shift-key and Troubleshooting and other steps.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:21 PM

cafejose,

Well now that you've put out more information about your own existing skill set that puts a different light on things.

If you know how to change boot order in BIOS doing so in the BIOS component of UEFI will not seem at all unfamiliar to you.  In your screenshot the Windows Boot Manager is likely what you'll want to look at.

There's nothing wrong with exploring the various UEFI menus if you know how to exit without saving changes.  If you've done that in a BIOS-based system it's not much different, if at all different, in a UEFI system.  Take a look around.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

cafejose,

Well now that you've put out more information about your own existing skill set that puts a different light on things.

If you know how to change boot order in BIOS doing so in the BIOS component of UEFI will not seem at all unfamiliar to you.  In your screenshot the Windows Boot Manager is likely what you'll want to look at.

There's nothing wrong with exploring the various UEFI menus if you know how to exit without saving changes.  If you've done that in a BIOS-based system it's not much different, if at all different, in a UEFI system.  Take a look around.

I still know very little.  I have, at times in the past, explored some menu, like Setup menu, but I never did try to change the boot priority order.  I had, using Vista and XP machines, booted from startup into the boot device choosing menu in order to go to CD or DVD just for one session; and had a few times on those machines booted into Safe Mode.  I had also tried a few live linux CD's through starting machine, interupting any start of Windows, going to F12 or tapping some F key, which I forgot, to get immediately the boot device menu, and picked CD/DVD, to run the linux live disks.

Only very recently I have taken the insight that you can reach certain menus or screens, not by repeated tapping as soon as the screen goes blank; but by pressing F2 or F12 key when the computer first shows the brand name on the screen.  

I STILL  KNOW ONLY VERY LITTLE, and so your warning was still important.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users