Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:21 PM

Hey everyone, I've just got a quick question so that I don't waste anyone's time diving head first into what I plan to do before even deciding yet. In the closet I have an old HP Pavilion 513x, who's HDD broke many years ago. A family friend replaced it & as of now, probably only has ~3 years of actual use on it. My current PC has a 1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA SCSI but not a backup drive. So I was thinking why don't I just re-purpose that old HDD for a backup boot drive in my daily driver, but then there were the concerns. Although before moving my personal files from that HP to my CyberpowerPC 5+ years ago, I did run multiple scans as instructed by the PCHF staff. Most of those were actually from BCC's malware removal guides. All said it was clean so I proceeded & never looked back, but that PC/HDD did get infected in the very distant past however all were removed. I'm not sure of that drives size but there's no doubt in my mind that the 55GB of used space on this PC would fit. If the below question checks out, I'll proceed to hook up that old machine & get it's specs in detail. I would've done that already but it takes quite a long time to turn on & finish booting plus this below is the deciding factor.

1: If I reformatted that HDD with Ccleaner or whatever better too y'all recommended, is there any remote risk of past malware residue?

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2016 - 05:02 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Imaging/Backup - Hamluis.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

You can wipe the Drive with MiniTool Partition Editor.  Download and create a bootable DVD and run it on the offending pc.  This way you can wipe the drive of any malware before installing it to use as backup on other pc.  Yes, Deleting and or Formatting the Drive will wipe the Malware from it.  Read up and ask questions when needed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

You can find some tutorials on how to do this here

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/deleting-partitions.html

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

You can wipe the Drive with MiniTool Partition Editor.  Download and create a bootable DVD and run it on the offending pc.  This way you can wipe the drive of any malware before installing it to use as backup on other pc.  Yes, Deleting and or Formatting the Drive will wipe the Malware from it.  Read up and ask questions when needed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitool-partition-wizard-free/

You can find some tutorials on how to do this here

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/deleting-partitions.html

Thank you so much, unfortunately I just now discovered that the drive is only 40GB which isn't enough so reusing it at all is out of the question. I will keep note of the tutorial you linked though for future reference.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

:thumbup2:

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:24 AM

40GB HD?  Can be used to "tote" stuff from computer to computer, if ya want.  Think of it as the Motorola Cordless Phone of the modern day USB stick  :)  :)  -- better yet, DBAN it and donate to Goodwill, there are some computer folks who would love to have that vintage HD for their collection.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

40GB HD?  Can be used to "tote" stuff from computer to computer, if ya want.  Think of it as the Motorola Cordless Phone of the modern day USB stick   :)   :)  -- better yet, DBAN it and donate to Goodwill, there are some computer folks who would love to have that vintage HD for their collection.

I'll just take a giant speaker magnet & hammer to it then salvage the ancient case fans & other parts in that HP. Too risky in my opinion to leave a used storage device still in functional condition this day & age.

Edited by Mike_Soda, 21 October 2016 - 08:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users