Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Pictures and video

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WilliamP

WilliamP

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

When downloading pictures and or videos from camera SD card, Quick Time grabs the pictures and they are too big for the monitor. Is there some way to resize them? Or maybe a better program as a picture down loader?

Edited by hamluis, 12 October 2016 - 03:26 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Graphic Design - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

I personally love FastStone Image Viewer as my image manager/viewer.  It's far better than the Win10 Photos app and QuickTime.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

My personal preference is Irfanview - http://www.irfanview.com/ - but what little I have seen of the Win 10 photo app made me decide not to reccommend it to anyone, I am not familiar with QuickTime but does it not have a couple of symbols at the top that look like magnifying glasses usually with a + and - symbol. These change the size of the displayed image. Alternatively see if there is a setting to display images either 'Full Screen' or 'Windowed'.

Personally, I always take the card out of the camera and plug it into the computer either through an SD slot (which almost all laptops have) or using a card reader and then use Windows (or File in Win10) Explorer to put the images where I want them before I view them.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:43 AM

Agreeing with other posters , i,ll add it also depends what your Camera settings are set at - eg; Small / Med / Large ?

If Quicktime is opening them by default , you can change that but what format are they from the Camera ?

I use Acdsee for all my Photos / Albums etc and do batch files for any Resizing to a specific size i require, but there are a vast amount you can try , or maybe something that came with your Camera Purchase.

As Britecguy said FastStone Products are fine and i use FastStone Photo Resizer occassionally and for customers PCs , it does the basic Resizing.

Overall it depends what Photos you have taken and what you will do with them , manipulate , print , or just store on Pc.

The more you play around with them - Crop / Rezise / etc , some loss will occur in those photos.

#5 hansibsen

hansibsen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

I also like FastStone Image Viewer . It's a simple program. But maybe you must just to change scale of pictures. 

#6 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

I have to go with Chris Cosgrove on this one.  You don't need an "images" program to download image files from a camera.  Just plug the SD card (or whatever) into the computer, select the files (usually all of them), copy them, and paste them into a folder on your hard drive.  When you display them in IrfanView they will automatically be zoomed to fit on the monitor.  Then you can do whatever you want with them.  Photoshop is more powerful, but it's also not cheap.  And IrfanView is amazingly capable.  I have Photoshop (an older, pre-subscription version, to be sure) but rarely use it nowadays, because I can do just about everything I want in IrfanView.  Right down to editing individual pixels.

It's convenient to set IrfanView as the default program for picture editing.  That way you don't have to bother with the "Open with ...." dialogue box unless you want to use some other program,

#7 Saham

Saham

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

hello

you can use Format Factory to change or resize the size and the ext

#8 Nouvest

Nouvest

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:23 AM

When downloading pictures and or videos from camera SD card, Quick Time grabs the pictures and they are too big for the monitor. Is there some way to resize them? Or maybe a better program as a picture down loader?

hi, i used to encounter the same problem, :bananas: i downloaded videos which are mov format, sometimes they are too large to store, then i searched a lot and found there were two programs (winx and wonderfox)can help us to compress these videos, finally i selected the mov compressor because it is really powerful and easy to operate, more over, it even can keep hd quality after compressing, how wonderful it is. the video size is becoming smaller and we can enjoy high quility :bounce: well, if you still have such demand, you also can try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users