Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't update after a fresh install

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 soundguyal

soundguyal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

Hi all.

I can not update anything.

When I try to download the rollup packages, it will not let me because ie8 needs updating. 

When I try to update from ie8 to 11, I click the download button and it takes me to the

"thank you for downloading" page but nothing happens. No downloading prompt, no file-save indication at all.

I installed win7 on an MSI H81M-P33 motherboard

and kingston SV300 ssd

SP 1 is on the disk.

The only driver installed from the msi disk is for the network adapter.

This is my second install attempt.

The first time I installed all drivers on the msi cd and the computer kept locking up.

Thanks for any help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 soundguyal

soundguyal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

I figured it out.

I just downloaded ie11 on another computer and now I'm able to install everything on the new computer.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

Nice work, thanks for letting us know.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#4 Bambinoo

Bambinoo

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

I have used this method on 6-7 "bare metal" installs with good success.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-for-installing-updating-windows-7-sp1.1176121/

Follow the directions precisely including the notes.

#5 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

Ironically, I had to figure this out before reading this, and ended up using firefox to download IE11 ! 

Kevin

#6 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

Ok,   Tried the posted procedure on a new HDD win7 install, and got stuck on No5. 

5. Install Internet Explorer 11 cumulative security update (KB3185319).  

It get stuck on "checking this computer for updates".  IE win 11 was installed today from internet as per step 4. 

How do I get past this?

Many thanks, Kevin

#7 Bambinoo

Bambinoo

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:57 PM

Well, Louis has noted before in other threads that there is no definitive cure for this issue, and I agree.

It certainly seems that installing IE 11 has something to do with it all.

I can't say myself for sure..but the plot thickens.

Specifically to your question, you need to stop the Windows Update Service before doing any manual updates.

Again, please read the directions in the link I provided carefully. Personally, I disable the Windows Update Service until the steps are taken as described in the link. Then reset it as delayed start, reboot, and updates should occur normally.

"It get stuck on "checking this computer for updates".  IE win 11 was installed today from internet as per step 4".

Following the above should resolve this. Whenever installing updates manually, if the WUS is running, you will always get the error you noted.

Edited by Bambinoo, 09 October 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#8 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:56 PM

I did stop windows update service as soon as the install finished.  I downloaded no5 to my desktop, and was installing it, and got the "checking the computer for updates".  That update is not in there.  The entire list is only 14.  I think they were installed with windows somehow or when I installed IE11.  But 12 of them show from today.  I did have the internet active and downloaded IE11.  I didn't do that with a stick, and another PC, maybe I should have. 

Actually when you have WUS running, I believe you get "checking for updates".  This was "checking this computer for updates" which is slightly different. 

Should I move on beyond no 5? 

Kevin

#9 Bambinoo

Bambinoo

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:18 PM

Your post is very confusing.

Did you stop/disable the Windows Update Service? This is a very different thing than settings in Windows Update of the Control Panel.

Did you set Windows Update (in the Control Panel) to "never"?

Explicitly WUS needs to be stopped and disabled, so the first sentence makes no sense to me.

From the article:

Before installing the KB files in steps 5 - 8, make sure Windows Update is turned off and make sure to stop the "Windows Update" service from running.

I did stop windows update service as soon as the install finished.  I downloaded no5 to my desktop, and was installing it, and got the "checking the computer for updates".  That update is not in there.  The entire list is only 14.  I think they were installed with windows somehow or when I installed IE11.  But 12 of them show from today.  I did have the internet active and downloaded IE11.  I didn't do that with a stick, and another PC, maybe I should have. 

Actually when you have WUS running, I believe you get "checking for updates".  This was "checking this computer for updates" which is slightly different. 

Should I move on beyond no 5? 

Kevin

Edited by Bambinoo, 09 October 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#10 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:47 PM

Sorry it was confusing. 

Yes, I set it to NEVER. 

I had been through all this when I had to troubleshoot my other machine which is a vista machine that was hanging up on updating and had to disable updating and do a bunch of patches manually. 

Kevin

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:37 AM

FWIW:  As noted above...issue has been resolved by OP.  Those of you who want to exchange comments about an issue that is already resolved...or who wish to start your own topic...are encouraged to do so in someone's else's topic.  I consider it impolite, if not rude, to clutter the OP's topic with remarks which have no bearing on a resolved situation.

This topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users