Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Retriving Email

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Emunah

Emunah

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

I was forced to install a new version of windows on another hard drive in order to get access to my original hard drive with all of my stuff on it due to a damage to its windows directory and not being able to boot up.
I have a lot of emails set up on its outlook and need to retrive them in order to use set them up in my new oultlook however I never created a .pst file as i didnt know.
is there anywy that i can still get those emails back and the setup and folders in my previous outlook?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:24 PM

If you can locate the files in the old OE it should be as easy as drag and drop them into the new OE .pst folder.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Emunah

Emunah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:30 AM

I cant find .pst files for the old one Its probably hidden!
is it possible that outlook EXPRESS doesnt create .pst?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:26 AM

Outlook Express is a completly different program from Outlook.

Here is some info on OE:

Outlook Express stores each identity’s messages in a separate Store Folder. This folder is located on your hard disk drive and contains .dbx files of proprietary binary format. All mail and news messages are kept in these files with attachments stored in the bodies of corresponding messages.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Emunah

Emunah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:05 AM

ok how do i find this .dbx file and how do i transfer it to my new outlook?

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

Have you done a search of your computer for dbx files? Make sure that the search is for hidden files. Make a note of their location.

Make copies of files and paste them in the proper place on the other hard drive.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

Here's another way to find your mail files. Do you remember the name of a mail folder you created? If so, do a search for it. When you find it, first click once on the name, then click on "open containing folder" in the left panel. This will open the folder that contains your mail folders. Transfer these to your new mail folder and you should be all set.

Note: in order to find the correct new mail folder, I create a new dummy folder in the new e-mail, close the e-mail, and do a search for the new folder you just created, open containing folder and Voila, you have your new folder open that you need to transfer your mail to.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

If you now have the original drive as a slave drive you should be able to use your current installation of OE or Outlook (you haven't made it clear which you have) to navigate to use the storage file of the old installation.

If it's OE click "Tools", "Internet Options", then click the "Maintenance" tab

Click the "Store Folder" button and navigate to where your other installation stored your mail folders.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 August 2006 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users