Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive dead?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cloven

Cloven

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

Hi,

I have a HP Personal Media Drive which didn't seem to be working, both when I put it in to the bank in the tower of the PC and also when I connected the USB and power cables externally.

Thinking it was a problem with the actual enclosure I purchased another external hard drive enclosure from CIT. Having connected it all up and switching it on all I seem to be getting is a flashing blue light from the enclosure and the actual drive doesn't seem to be on and isn't making a noise/heating up.

The hard drive is a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 160Gb ATA.

Does anyone have any idea what possibly might be the problem and how I may solve it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:03 AM

Assuming you already checked the UEFI or BIOS area in this computer, I'm wondering if you can take the whole ext HD assembly to another computer and test.  If that's possible, could you let us know the results?  Also, have you already downloaded and ran the HD's manufacturer's diagnostic tests?  Last but not least, do you have a recent backup of the data on this problematic HD before this situation arose?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Cloven

Cloven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:10 AM

I haven't taken it to another computer yet but I'll try that next. I assume due to the fact the drive won't show up on my computer or in fact that it doesn't even seem to be on it won't be possible to run a diagnostic test on it. This drive was the back up drive and as far as I'm aware hasn't been used in a while.

The drive was manufactured July 2004 so that may be a contributing factor?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

FWIW:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00220412 .

Louis

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

A 12 year old drive IMO is not trust worthy for much more than a paper weight.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users