Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Wont My Computer Fully Start?!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zchex

zchex

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

when my other computer starts up everything starts normally. The Compaq sign appears then the Windows XP loading screen appears.

But once thats done loading, the screen turns black and it goes to the compaq sign then the Windows XP loading screen.

It's just a cycle throught the screens, and the computer never fully starts up.

does anyone know what to do?

I have tried safe boot but it wont even let me into that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

First Thing I would do is to try to run a fixboot and/or a fixmbr (fix master boot record) ,

to do this, boot to the recovery console (boot with the windows disk then at the blue screen hit "r"), then once in the recovery console, to run fixmbr (fix master boot record) , type:

fixmbr

to run fixboot type:

fixboot

If that doesn't work, you could try to repair the ntldr (the ntldr is the boot loader) and the ntdetect.com (the ntdetect.com is responsible for detecting basic hardware)

to do this, boot to the recovery console (boot with the windows disk then at the blue screen hit "r"), then once in the recovery console, type (note my CD Drive is letter D: so change this to whatever your CD Drive is and my Windows is on C: so change that drive to whatever your Windows is on):

copy D:/i386/ntldr C:
(then hit enter, if it asks you if you want to replace a file, say yes)

copy D:/i386/ntdetect.com C:
(then hit enter, if it asks you if you want to replace a file, say yes)

Then reboot.
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

if service pack2 is installed then i would suggest tapping F8 on boot and choose the option that says "disable automatic restart on system failure". That way we can get the error message the is probley coming up yet we cannot see it. once you get that please post it before running other commands.

#4 zchex

zchex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:38 AM

ok great thanks

#5 zchex

zchex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

OK so i did "disable automatic restart on system failure"

and now a blue screen is showing up saying...

STOP:c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The windows Logon Process system process terminated with a status of 0xc0000006 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down

dp you know what do do here?

#6 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:57 AM

One Fix for this error would be to boot to recovery console by either using the XP cd or the 6 boot floppies (avail on the microsoft website) within the recovery console type in the command chkdsk /p. when that is complete then run chkdsk /r. This with go up to the high persentage then will drop back down to 50% and will do this for each error that is detected. Once it is complete then type in exit and press enter and the system will reboot. hopefully this will help the situation.

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users