Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LISTENING PORTS....an I deeply infected? Just need a pro's opinion....

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:59 AM

Just a quick debrief to explain how my suspicions were aroused that I might have issue(s)........

After reading one of Qman7's extremely informative posts and following a link (or 2) to here http://www.dslreports.com/faq/4190 which explained the importance of checking 'listening' ports (under the cmdprompt code 'Netstat -an') every once in a while, it seems that, after following the instructions to compare port numbers (with an on-line 'suspected trojan port list') that the number 445 is displayed on my computer which appears to match something called the 'Nimda' worm/trojan/virus.

The line on the CMDprompt looks something like this :-

TCP   0.0.0.0:445         0.0.0.0:0         LISTENING

So, in a nutshell, the question I am asking is this : does this number '445' mean I am infected in some way? 

I should add that my pc (notebook Samsung model NP3530) is running just fine, no suspicious activity/behavior whatsoever, minimal CPU usage and temperature. Scans with Zemana, E-set, Reason, Win Defender all come up clean and I also have the other security suites in place as illustrated in my signature below.

However, I must add that this device HAS been heavily infected in the past, mainly during 2013 when I was a beginner pc user and was very naive about internet security at that time. I am now far more aware and pre-cautious (as can be seen), but am a little worried that this '445' code might be something carried over from an infection I acquired many months ago that is deeply-embedded in Kernal somewhere that has so far evaded the various scanning tools I use.

If this IS in fact an infection of some kind, re-formatting/re-setting my device to factory settings IS an option as I have backed up and don't really use my computer for anything other than recreational surfing.

. I should add that I don't consider this to be an urgent matter, but any pro/expert opinions on this matter would be much appreciated

Edited by robby501, 08 October 2016 - 08:59 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users