Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System Preference

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hat1

Hat1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:11 AM

Which Operating System do you prefer and why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ManlyMcManlyton

ManlyMcManlyton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:58 AM

I use Windows, MacOS and Chrome OS. Chrome OS is my secondary but my main is Windows.

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:14 AM

I Prefer Linux, I'm running Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon at the moment, and it's great, with wine configured correctly for the machine it plays WoW just fine . super fast, booted in less than 10 seconds on an SSD (roughly 20 on an 5400RMP HDD) (depending on hardware of course). 

Linux in my opinion is the much better OS when it comes to speed and reliability. 

then again this is just my opinion. 

and if you need help installing the forums for the most well known Distros eg, Ubuntu, have helpful forums for beginners to Linux and Unix based OS's.

Edited by Viper_Security, 08 October 2016 - 04:15 AM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

I work with what ever is on the clients machine.  No sense loading some platform that may not support the hardware.  Most faults are real, that is to say, "it used to work".  There is a compatible issue with any changes to a working setup and that includes some OS updates that have been known to scramble things during download, update installs. Mostly with WINX now.

#5 LyricalPuddle

LyricalPuddle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:03 AM

I do prefer Debian over Windows but the problem that Linux cannot seem to shake is that I tried out Mint about six weeks ago just for a change I believe it was one of the new distro's on Linux Format and I really had sereve trouble with boot times which I never ever had before. It would not boot reliably in regards to it would sometimes boot up slick and lovely and other times you had to do some serious fiddling with the computer to get it started. I even went to the bother of speaking to a collegue that is a wizard with Linux and he couldn't understand why at times it would work and other times it would not.

Thing is I have installed so many different Distros on that PC that there is absolutely no reasonable excuse for it. I even got Windows to run on it without playing up. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users