Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startuplist 2.01

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling Holobyte

Sterling Holobyte

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hi all.
I recently downloaded Startuplist 2.01 off of Merijn.org, wanting to see what processes might be running covertly on my computer, and was trying to make sense of all the things it listed. Is there a way to figure out what is supposed to be there and what shouldn't or doesn't have to be there without going through each and every item and searching for them?(it won't let me cut and paste the filenames so I would have to write every one of them out).
Is there a community of people who analyze these lists like for Hijackthis? Should I just use Hijackthis/does it list all startup programs? And just forget about Startuplist? I posted a Hijackthis log on another forum and never got a reply, but I don't know if that meant it was clean or not, so I thought I would try this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

Because every computer has a different configuration of applications, it would be difficult to provide either a shortlist of deletable items or any sort of general rules. BC does maintain an extremely long list in its Startup database (see the tab at the top of the page marked "Startup list").
This list indicates, for each item, whether it is necessary for your computer, optional, or killable. While the introduction recommends the application Autorun, you can use Startuplist to review and make decisions about what should be running at startup that reflects your needs and uses.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:34 PM

Hi SH, it might be best if you start here: www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic62888.html#entry343980
if you have reason to believe you have malware on your computer such as popups, browser hijacking, slow running computer, etc.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users