Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No bootable drive" in UEFI boot mode (even with "bootable" USB)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dudet772

dudet772

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

So, it's a very long story of how I got to this point, but, essentially, I am trying to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode from a bootable USB. (I used the Windows Installation Media in Windows 10 to create the USB. I've also tried Rufus and a lot of other things...)

The USB works to install Windows in CSM mode, but if I switch my computer to UEFI boot mode, I get the message of "No bootable drive." Is there a way to fix this or am I stuck in CSM mode?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

What is the make and model of the computer or motherboard if a custom build. Is there a setting in UEFI called QuickBoot or Fastboot? Disable if you have that setting. Did you use GPT partition scheme in Rufus using the iso of Windows 10?

#3 dudet772

dudet772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:50 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-C5240. I'm about to try the GPT partition scheme in Rufus (I tried MBR before, and I just read something that suggested GPT was the way to go. I'm not a computer person, so I don't really know the difference between the two.). I haven't seen anything in UEFI called QuickBoot or FastBoot, though I wasn't looking very hard.

Edit:​ GPT didn't work.

Edited by dudet772, 07 October 2016 - 07:58 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

On the toshiba satellite, make sure CSM is disabled. Boot the computer with the flash drive attached and tap F12. This should bring up a boot menu where you can select your boot device. Your flash drive should be listed. If the flash drive boots do the following if this is a clean install.

At the first Window install screen that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will bring up a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart   -   This will open the diskpart prompt

list disk

select disk X   -  X will be zero if you only have one disk

clean   -    This will delete any partitions on the disk

convert GPT   -   This will initialize the disk as GPT

exit     -    exits out of diskpart

exit     -    exits out of command prompt

Continue with the Windows install.

#5 dudet772

dudet772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:17 PM

Nah. The USB shows up when I press F12, but then I get the same error "No bootable drive."

If I open command prompt in CSM mode, I've already tried initializing the HDD as GPT. Do I need to initialize both the USB and the HDD as GPT?

Edit:​ Also, as a side note, is there anything *that* bad about using CSM boot mode? Other than the slow startup? Any good internet references on this? I've tried so many things at this point, I might just give up and leave it like this.

Edited by dudet772, 07 October 2016 - 08:20 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

It's not required to have UEFI enabled. If you go with CSM then I would format the the drive as MBR and not GPT unless you plan on having more than 4 primary partitions. Have you tried a different USB flash drive? Is there an option in UEFI to disable SecureBoot or if it is disabled have you enabled it? Windows 10 should boot if SecureBoot is enabled. 

Attach the USB flash drive to another computer. Open computer. Is the drive listed as local disk or removable disk?

Edit: You downloaded the iso using the Media Creation Tool, correct? It's possible the iso file is corrupt.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 October 2016 - 08:31 PM.

#7 dudet772

dudet772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:04 PM

Yeah...I think I'm done trying. CSM it is. Thanks for the help!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:06 PM

No problem. It bothers me that you could not boot the flash drive with UEFI enabled though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users