Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen with Cursor, Safe mode too.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Krognus

Krognus

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:17 PM

Hello. I recently had my laptop fail in a strange way. My gf handed me the laptop after trying to load Minecraft. It crashed the computer to a BSOD and I attempted a system restore. I'm sure the BSOD was related to my graphics card (Nvidia).

It looked like it had succeeded, yet after several hours the restore ended and reported failure. I restarted and loaded into safe mode(w/ command prompt). It loads into windows fine, at least it seems, because I am left with a cursor and a black background screen. I can move the mouse about. I press alt+ctrl+del and no dialog box appears. I tried the stickykeys trick but that wont show up; let alone I'd disabled it in the past. I am stuck at this black window with a cursor.

I then scanned the HDD by taking it out and using my external bay. I used chkdsk /r and it found something with a bitmap error. It corrected the volume. I also used sfc /scannow pointing toward the external drive (pulled HDD from my laptop). Again, nothing found out of the ordinary. I thought the original chkdsk scan worked. I put the laptop back together and... Same results. Black screen with cursor in safemode(all options), and regular boot. I have followed these posts/tutorials so far:

tl;dr Black Screen with cursor in all boot modes, after following other searched posts/guides still broke.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516652/black-screen-on-startup-cant-load-safe-mode/

I also tried Avira Rescue System and it failed after scanning 100%. I am also trying another homebrew rescue disk I downloaded. That bootdisc did not find errors with my boot partition, because I can boot fine.

Edited by Krognus, 07 October 2016 - 02:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

The Black Screen error is a very difficult problem to solve.

I have spent weeks trying to repair computers with this - only to resort to a wipe and reinstall of Windows because I couldn't fix it.

Now, at work, we see if we can repair it using System Restore.

If we can't, then we backup the data and wipe the system to reinstall Windows.

Feel free to try the different search results.  I hope you can find a fix that'll work for you.

In the event that you can't, feel free to post back and we'll be glad to assist with the backup, wipe, and reinstall of Windows.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Krognus

Krognus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

Thank you for your informative reply. I have been considering that all hope is lost on the drive. My new question is; How do I unlock the protection from the C drive so I can salvage files? I will take to Googling after this, of course. I don't have any win 7 disc around, as I bought this laptop used on ebay. I can scan things fine on the D partition in an external drive bay, yet C drive gives me the error 'this volume is protected' or some nonsense. How do I reauthorize myself on a win7 partition plugged into an external HDD reader? Is linux my saving grace now?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:34 AM

I'm uncertain of how to fix this.  I'd suggest posting over in the Windows 7 forums for more expert suggestions.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users