Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Programs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

Alright evryone

My computer is in perfect shape right now, and I want to keep it this way.

Right now I am currently using:

Windows Firewall
Windows Defender
Ad-Aware S&E
Norton Anti-Virus 2004 (No more updates, trial expired.)

So what are the best programs I should be using, I need all FREE too.

I am runnning Windows XP SP2, with a Pentium 4 if you need to know.

I have also checked out the Freeware Replacements Thread, which ones should I use?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

Much of what I will recommend is based on personal preferences, since I have used these for quite some time. Other applications may be perfectly useful, and there is nothing to prevent your trying any of them out for several weeks to see which you prefer.

I do not use Windows firewall, since it only reviews incoming packets; a good firewall should monitor outgoing packets as well (no ET calling home).
My favourite is Sygate Personal Firewall; it has several very useful logs as well as a backtrace and "whois" function, and you can manage permissions by application.

Not having a AV with current definitions is like having no protection at all. I use and recommend AVG free. It is fairly easy to use, allows for a great deal of user configurations (especially in on-demand scanning), and updates very frequently.

At the very least, I would certainly add Spybot Search and Destroy to your arsenal of anti-spyware applications. These two seem to work well together in that they cover, between them, almost all of the major malware you might encounter. Some members might recommend several others to add to these two, depending on your surfing habits.

You can find links to each of these applications in the freeware pinned post.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 05:49 PM

Just to briefly add on what John has said, I totally stand by with Johns preference in Firewall choice. I have tried a few now, Sygate was my first and i came full circle back to it. I find it to be an excellent firewall, in my opinion the best, but again, thats opinion and others will prefer different.

You may wish to add Ewido Anti-Spyware, again another great piece of software that i would not be without. I recommend it highly.

It might be a good idea to also download SpywareBlaster too. It basically adds a huge list to your sites to block in IE or Firefox, giving you added protection when browsing. Just remember to keep it updated.

As far as Anti-Virus go, i cant really give an opinion on a free one as i have never used one. I currently use F-Secures AV with Rootkit detector, and find it to be excellent in all aspects. But, i have heard many things about AVG and Avast and hear that they are good AV's to have as long as you browse safely, im sure you will be fine with one of those.

Just one more thing, make sure you follow the uninstall procedure for Norton word for word, step by step. If you dont it might become a pain in trying to dispose of it. :thumbsup:

Safe Browsing
:flowers:
Graveangel

Edited by graveangel, 21 August 2006 - 05:52 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#4 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:21 PM

Ok

I think I will try AVG Free and Sygate. I will also get SpyBot.

I used teh free trial of Ewido, I love that one, it's my favorite, but again, I need free. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help guys!

Posted Image

#5 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

Don't forget Spywareblaster..........it does a great job of preventing crap from getting on your pc. Once you have it you will notice a reduction in the amount of things Adaware and Spybot pick up.

#6 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

K, I will try that too.

Posted Image

#7 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

I went to get AVG Free

and at this site, I noticed Ewido Free!

Is that better than Ad-Aware and SpyBot and Windows Defender?

How many of things do I need to b using at once? All 4? Or should I use 1? and turn off the others? What do you guys think?

Posted Image

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:29 PM

Use only 1 firewall and AV

you can use multple Spywares
Spybot,spyware guard, AdAware, etc
Also you can still use Ewido, But you need to up date it manually, as with spybot and others....at least weekly
I would use all of them

Edited by boopme, 21 August 2006 - 09:31 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:34 AM

Thank you

Any other thoughts?

Posted Image

#10 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:27 AM

Any other thoughts?

boopme is spot on. The use of two or three antispyware apps is an advantage , as each one is likely to pick up things the other doesn't. :thumbsup:

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:30 AM

Hi kk. As mentioned above, it is a matter of personal preference so try out various combinations and decide what works for you.

What works 100% for me is in my sig below.

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

Currently, there are absolutely no standards for spyware criteria, and many areas of definitions are somewhat grey. Each company, therefore, has its own definitions about what consitutes spyware and adware. Naturally, each company's application will look for and find only those items falling under the company's criteria.
Having several applications will increase the discovery coverage. Ad-aware and Spybot are the paramount applications, and these two companies focus on spyware and that alone. Adding other applications will increase your protection, but at some point the law of diminishing returns takes effect. I would not recommend going above four anti-spyware applications for this reason.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:43 PM

Alright, thankyou very much evryone.

I now have Sygate Firewall, AVG Free, SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Windows Defender, and Spyware Blaster installed. I uninstalled Norton, and turned off the Windows Firewall.

Evrything seems to be working great, thanks!

-kyle :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#14 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:08 AM

Looking good KK

re Spybot - don't forget to enable Resident Teatimer ( for realtime protection) and it is necessary to IMMUNISE each time you update.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#15 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:27 AM