Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tabs.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mattytun

mattytun

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

Hi, the website that I use if you (single left) click on a link in a forum post, the page opens in the CURRENT TAB instead of a NEW TAB.

I'm a Firefox user is there anything I can download so when I click a link it opens in new tab

The mod from the site says its for security reasons, and that's why when you click a link it does not open in new tab.

Edited by hamluis, 07 October 2016 - 10:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

I use Firefox...and my links open in a new tab.

In Firefox...click Tools/Options...scroll down to Tabs and assert your preference.

I think I see what you mean...the former current tab is moved to the open tabs displayed on the Firefox toolbar.  I just automatically click that tab if/when I want to return to it.

You don't lose your current tab, it just goes into a holding pattern.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 October 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#3 mattytun

mattytun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hi thanks for helping the site that I am using is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

I do a lot of online competitions, and when someone adds a competition there is a link to click on to take you to the competition 

And in the past when you clicked the link it would open a new Tab, but now the site Admin has disabled the pages from opening in new Tabs

There is a workaround if I right click and press the open link in new Tab.

But I don't want to do that so is there an add-on that will help me

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

Well...that sounds like something that is not a browser issue, but a website issue (I could be wrong).  If the webpage is setup to work in a given manner...I don't think there is anything that you can do to impact that.

Louis

#5 mattytun

mattytun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

Well...that sounds like something that is not a browser issue, but a website issue (I could be wrong).  If the webpage is setup to work in a given manner...I don't think there is anything that you can do to impact that.

Louis

Yes its a website issue with that particular site only

Other websites are working ok when I click a link

but its annoying having to the right click and press "open link in new Tab."

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

When I go to that site in SeaMonkey I just ''middle click'' on any of the links with my mouse and they open in a new tab.

(by 'middle click' I mean you just click on the link with your mouse scroll wheel)

#7 mattytun

mattytun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:33 AM

Hi thanks for help I found this Add-on that's sorted it out https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/open-link-in-new-tab/

#8 mattytun

mattytun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

I think the reason MSE blocked tabs from opening after you click a link was something to do with target="_blank" is a security risk.

#9 mattytun

mattytun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 01:28 PM

One of the staff on the site posted this today ...................................................Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback so far and we realise this is an extremely frustrating update, but an essential security requirement nonetheless.

In reference to the details on One-Eye's post we have not changed the links on the RHS as we know the to be secure. We have not backdated the security update to include links posted in the forum pre- 3rd October as we know they have not caused any issue so far and the job requirement is too big for us to be able to deal with at the moment.

The current fix is something we know to work for the short term despite the functionality issue, we know, being extremely frustrating for most of you (forum users), especially the compers and those using the competitions board.

As some of you have already highlighted; you can still use the CTRL button and/or right-click 'open in new tab' options or for tablet or mobile devices hold down the link and wait for the popup window. We very much appreciate your patience and feedback and ask you to please bear with us as we scope out a solution that overcomes this functionality gap AND secures the site simultaneously.

regards
Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users