Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

America's Army

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

I just downloaded it.

Is it a fun game?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:23 PM

I didn't really like it all the much. Granted, i only played it for like 30 minutes, but it wasn't something i think i could get into. The aiming/control were awkward, and it was pretty boring overall. That's just my opinion, though.

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:02 PM

I couldn't really get into it. The pace feels so slow from running and the fact that once you die, you'll probably have to wait another like five minutes before the round clock finishes. It also doesn't help that the running is more like a brisk walk. The nature of it is a bit more realistic gameplay but its geared way towards kids too much to make it a somewhat of an interesting game. If somebody wanted to, they can block snipers, (the very little amounts of) blood, I believe swearing, and even make it so only servers that play on the MILES targeting system (a laser tag kind of thing) are visible. Also, you'll notice that no matter what, the team you are on is shown as the US army while the opposing team is dressed as terrorists. There aren't any set teams, just your always the US. It also makes it weird because even though everybody is technically the US army, the opposing team not only has 'terrorist' clothes, they also have ak's which can go full auto unlike the M16, which can only go up to a burst. So somehow, that is all mixed into the gameplay and its ridiculous.

Honestly in my opinion, America's Army is a mix between Counter-Strike (round based spawning) and Battlefield 2 (larger amounts of people fighting, but nowhere near 64) and both games are better than America's Army.

In this case, Red Orchestra is even more realistic and an even better game.

Still, America's Army is alright for being free, but there are much better games that's servers and options are less child oriented because I like the battles and gore and such.

Edited by Wizdabest, 21 August 2006 - 04:04 PM.

#4 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

everyone has an opinion, and in mine, americas army rocks!
i think its alot better than most fps out there now, becuase its
1.more realistic
2.promotes army values
3.not as much hacking
4.no vehicals currently so you don't have that one noob that runs everyone over
5.promotes teamwork to accomplish objectives
6.when AA 3.0 comes out it will be like bf2, except totaly realistic and uber graphics
7.it is very different from other games as you actually suffer from hits, and flashes
8.you can't run out in the open gunz blazing and win like in CS
9.realistic
10.made by the U.S. army.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#5 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

Interesting...

I just played it for a few minutes, did the marksmanship training. Do i have complete all the training before I can do Mulitplayer?

Any other commens on the game?

Posted Image

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:50 PM

I think they may have changed it but I recall having to basic training and maybe marksman to play online.

Try doing the other advanced and medic training. Ugh. . . Especially that advanced training I don't remember what its called, but you have to like do a stealth mission that takes literally 30 minutes and nobody on the official forums is aloud to help out.

Edited by Wizdabest, 22 August 2006 - 04:52 PM.

#7 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

complete basic to be able to play online
complete jump training to do airborne missions
complete adv. marksmanship to be sniper
complete medic to be medic online
complete special forces and have a min. or 15 honer to play sf maps
if you dont have requirements for sf maps met you can onle play as IF(indegionus forces)
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:22 AM

seriously, have fun if you want to complete all the SF training /sarcasm. Its a long process.

#9 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:59 PM

it takes awhile, but then again, so does real sf training, if you cant complete it in the game, its like not being suited for it in real army.

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:58 PM

And if you are 50 pounds overweight and can't complete it in the game well don't expect to do any better in the real army.

BTW I downloaded and played this and I thought it was long and tedious and if I remember right you can't even skip the guy talking. So if you take the mission again you already know what he has to say but you still have to listen to him...

#11 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

certain ones you can others you cant, its very tedious indeed but its supposed to be realistic, but not too realistic. if i had my way AA would have realistic damage, reloading magazines when u run out by hand, dragging downed comrades outta da way of a mg, ect.
they wanted to find a happy medium so there would be an army experiance, and yet make it so ppl will want to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users