Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving emails from Google to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 amkdl

amkdl

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:45 AM

Evening all,

I set up my company website through wix.com and bought alongside this email eccess through Google. Ie I access my business email ie myname@mybusiness.com through Google. However I don't like Gmail. I have set up Outlook 2010 which I do like, and through the POP system I have my Gmail emails mirrored in Outlook. However I don't think it is a 'clean' solution. How do I close my Gmail account, open an Outlook 2010 account AND keep my myname@mybusiness.com email address? 

I have had a google around but cannot find the answer except for this solution:

Cancel any pop 3 forwarding in Gmail to outlook. Cancel Gmail fetching email from you domain and just fetch it in outlook instead.

Is this correct and how do I do this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JustxMeg

JustxMeg

• Banned
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:10 AM

Hello and welcome,

You want get the emails you have in gmail in Outlook 2010 with the Google email account? You can use IMAP for that, a tutorial on how to do it can be found here. IMAP will get all the current emails directly from the Google Server in Outlook, so you don't have to worry about losing items.

Also: Office 2010, is not supported anymore if I'm correct. I think it's the best to upgrade to Office 2013, or the last version Office 2016.

#3 amkdl

amkdl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hi, I want to completely move off google apps onto Outlook 2010. I have just been in contact with microsoft and they have recommend I use their 'exchange'. I was specific in using 2010, and they were fine with that.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/exchange/try-or-buy-microsoft-exchange-business-email

Their teach team are going to give me a ring next week. I presume this will do the trick? 

#4 JustxMeg

JustxMeg

• Banned
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:35 AM

I've no experience with that, sorry. But I think that it will do the trick for you. :) Keep me updated if you know more.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

You do realize that you do not need to "move" your e-mail service anywhere else to use Outlook 2010 to access it, I hope.

As JustXMeg has noted you can access Gmail and virtually any e-mail service in Outlook 2010 via IMAP on multiple devices.  Unless you are somehow unhappy with the service you're getting from Google "behind the scenes" you're making a lot of extra work for yourself.  POP continues to be supported mostly for backward compatibility reasons.  I generally steer my clients away from POP because virtually all of them want to access the same e-mail account from multiple devices and doing so via POP is a sure road to madness as your messages generally don't all show up on all devices because of the way POP is generally configured by default.  By contrast, IMAP was designed with the idea that one would be accessing a single account from multiple devices and keeps everything "in sync" with what the user sees.

I can confirm that Outlook 2010 (Office 2010 in general) is still actively supported.  I've not upgraded because I don't need or want the latest "bells and whistles" that have been added to Office.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 amkdl

amkdl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

Thanks both for your replies. The reason Brian I want to delete gmail is that the performance on Outlook 2010 is affected by having to go through Gmail ie needs to keep 'downloading' emails and I open them, slight freeze when I delete emails etc. This is why I want a clean switch. TBH I may have the IMAP set up activated already. When I was following instructions to do it, I think in Gmail it was the same box for POP/IMAP to allow the set up with Outlook.

I may have this all muddles up as my 1997 Computer Studies O Level didn't cover this!

Like you Brian, I want to keep the simple 2010 version of Outlook. 

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

I can't imagine what the "hitch in the giddy-up" is with Gmail.   I have multiple Gmail accounts and have them set up in Outlook 2010, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, and the Win10 mail app and, as a general rule, they function quickly and without any issue at all.  I very occasionally have a "disconnect" between one account and Windows Live Mail, but on the next send-receive cycle it works.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users