Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 programs wont work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blue02celi

blue02celi

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:20 PM

not sure what happened

laptop was working fine this morning, I had an update for itunes, so I accepted it and then I started having issues.  Whenever I try to open a program, play music, open a game, it freezes up.  I've reset it a bunch of times, I did a restore to the last recovery which was a few days ago, but its still having a problem.  if I don't try to open anything besides chrome, its fine.  I can browse the net, but if I try to open anything else, it just locks up.  Not sure what logs and such would help here in trying to troubleshoot this issue, tho I'm sure i'd need a quick run thru on how to obtain it.

any help would be appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 07 October 2016 - 09:20 AM.
Moved from W10 Discussion to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:35 AM

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists.  

Below you will find instructions for booting into Safe Mode.  The computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode every time it is started until you reenter System Configuration and remove the check in the Safe boot box.

Press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key at the same time.

Type msconfig in the search box, then click/tap on OK.

When System Configuration opens click/tap on the Boot tab.

Click/tap in the box for Safe boot, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Let us know the results in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 blue02celi

blue02celi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

so i got it up running in safe mode

tried to play music, it 'seems' like its playing, the progress bar moves but cant hear anything, it says none of my sound services are online, assuming thats because of safe mode

same thing if I open one of my games, they wont launch due to the computer not being compatible due to the graphics

ITunes actually opens now, and i'm not getting the little notification on the bottom right that network drivers arent connecting, which wouldnt go away if I clicked on it to clear it out and when i would try, it would just freeze up

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:27 AM

In order to go online in Safe Mode you need to open System Configuration, click/tap on the Boot tab, then click/tap on Network.  Apply, OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 blue02celi

blue02celi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:49 AM

do I need to go online to fix the problem?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

i'm not getting the little notification on the bottom right that network drivers arent connecting

Were you trying to go online when you received this message?

#7 blue02celi

blue02celi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

sorry i didnt explain it properly

when I started having the problems with the laptop, the notice on the bottom right that pops up to tell me all network drivers couldnt be connected was one of them.  it wouldnt go away, even when I tried to click on it and clear it out, sometimes it would freeze up and keep me from clicking on other buttons, like the start/windows button so I would have to ctrl-alt-delete to restart the computer over again.  

I made a recovery disk, tried to load up from the disk but i guess i missed the prompt to hit any button so it just booted up normally, but i didn't get that notice about the network drivers, and everything seemed to be back to normal.  I read up that windows has some kind of issue with timing sometimes loading up too fast and not being able to connect to all the network drivers, or something?

I think I'm just going to wipe it and start over, I'm sure there's tons of stuff just slowing it down anyway that I don't need on there, but thank you very much for the assistance in trying to figure out the problem!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the first device in the boot order is the optical drive, and hdd/ssd the second device?

If you did and the disc was not bootable the computer would go to the next  boot device.

If you did not it will boot from the first device in the boot order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users