Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashes / hardware errors during specific game

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CBattles6

CBattles6

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:26 PM

I've been experiencing repeated crashes and hardware errors when playing the game Atlas Reactor. Typically, the graphics will freeze sometime in the first few turns of a match, but the audio will continue to play, and the game will register clicks for aiming skills, locking in my turn, etc. Typically after another half turn or so (of just audio), the client will crash. I don't have this issue with any other game, and I've been able to run benchmarks with Heaven and 3DMark without any problems. I've updated all my drivers and BIOS, tried troubleshooting with video card clock speeds, etc., but can't seem to stop the crashes.

I've posted a video of the issue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syZFV9jujgI&feature=youtu.be

Through my troubleshooting, I've discovered the Windows Reliability Monitor, which registers the same two "critical events" every time I experience a crash:

Problem: Stopped working
Date: 10/2/2016 5:03 PM

Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Atlas Reactor\Games\Atlas Reactor\Live\Win32\AtlasReactor.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    AtlasReactor.exe
Application Version:    5.3.4.0
Application Timestamp:    57e61c62
Fault Module Name:    AtlasReactor.exe
Fault Module Version:    5.3.4.0
Fault Module Timestamp:    57e61c62
Exception Code:    c0000005
Exception Offset:    001198c1
OS Version:    10.0.14393.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    1033
Additional Information 1:    7983
Additional Information 2:    798346ce44db114ed3cdf1d6516a78fd
Additional Information 3:    efe3
Additional Information 4:    efe35375f985b1d645be5a36d0b131cd

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    f602265c42e462772702bc7890a4d4c9 (108426857376)

Problem: Hardware error
Date: 10/2/2016 5:03 PM

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    141
Parameter 1:    ffffa302470f9010
Parameter 2:    fffff80fe7faed90
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    1b98
OS version:    10_0_14393
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    768_1
OS Version:    10.0.14393.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys

Here are my hardware specs, for reference (desktop system, built in 2/2013):

• Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core processor
  • Radeon HD 7950 3GB video card
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 motherboard
  • 16 GB RAM (G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600)
  • NZXT HALE82N 650W 80+ power supply
  • Windows 10 64-bit

My computer knowledge ends at the point where I have to start interpreting error codes, and my Google-fu has been ineffective. If there is any more information I can post, please let me know. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this issue!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CBattles6

CBattles6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:09 AM

Updating thread with BSOD Dump and PERFMON reports.

Attached Files

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F14) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

These devices are disabled in Device Manager:

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64    ROOT\NET\0000    This device is disabled.
Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)    PCI\VEN_1969&DEV_1083&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_C0\4&841E55&0&00E6    This device is disabled.
Intel® 82579V Gigabit Network Connection    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_04\3&11583659&0&C8    This device is disabled.

If the Cisco AnyConnect device isn't needed, please uninstall it.  Otherwise, re-enable it and ensure that it's software is updated to the latest, W10 compatible version

Please re-enable the other devices and ensure that their software/drivers are also updated to the latest, W10 compatible version.

Beyond that, the errors seem to point at video, and may be hardware related.
I'd suggest starting with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the video tests, but finish all of them - and let us know the results.

Other things that might help are here:  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below steps:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 CBattles6

CBattles6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:22 AM

BIOS - Version F14 is the latest set of BIOS that I can update through Windows. There are three sets of beta BIOS (latest 7/2016), but when I try to install them I get a "This app can't run on your PC" error message.

Windows Updates - up to date.

Devices - Uninstalled/activated as instructed. Updated the Atheros and Intel devices to the most recent drivers.

FurMark - Ran the BURN-IN test for 10 minutes. Max temp 70°, only a few frame rate stutters during the test.

EVGA OC Scanner - Ran a video memory stress test. Max temp 70°, no artifacts detected.

VMT - No errors.

Have not had an opportunity to run Prime95—will update this post when I can.

Edited by CBattles6, 11 October 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:34 AM

It's interesting to note the stutters during FurMark.

I'm not that familiar with that sort of error - you may want to post over at the Furmark forums for more expert assistance:  http://www.ozone3d.net/smf/index.php?board=9.0

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users