Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell PowerEdge R320 or R330 server

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:29 PM

Hello all,

Just to let you know in advance. I'm not your typical home network. My networks include servers, switches, and storage devices for the record. I'm thinking about buying an additional server to compliment the one I currently have (16 gigabytes of ram, but with a motherboard deficiency causing it to only see half that) and am looking as possible options. I like Dell, so am thinking of either the R320 or the R330 single-socket options (I don't think for what I'm doing (active directory, file server, secondary web server, TFS server for internal projects) requires dual. The R320 has around 192 gigabytes of memory maximum, whereas the R330 has only 64. Do any of you have anything to say about either unit in particular? Also of note, these servers would be connected to some resources a couple of towns over. Thanks for any input. I asked Dell for advice, and I didn't realize my potential once I bought my first unit, and I'm now needing a second one since I didn't realize how much of a project potential I had. in other words, never thought I'd be using virtualization until my friends came along and showed me what I was capable of ...

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:54 AM

The r320 uses an older platform with E5 v2 processors. I would recommend the newer r330.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

I think that's going to be what I end up going for ... plus I've heard that the R330's are a bit quieter as well; not that server noise bothers me any ... but if I'm working from home, I can't have a server revving above my head where callers might hear it. LOL

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users