Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable boxes andUbiquiti EdgeOS-based routers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:42 AM

Hey all.

I'm thinking when I move to get myself a EdgeRouterX device from Ubiquiti to give myself control of my own networking needs (plus my friend's got a VPN I need to connect to), but I've heard that these units can cause problems with provider-based equipment on the TV side (I've have a streaming media server attached to my TV as well, but I know that the cable box is needed for something though). I'm good on the internet side of the equation, not the TV side ... So has anyone gotten these units to work with either Verizon-based cable boxes or Comcast-based ones? (my connectivity options are limited (I can't, for instance switch to ethernet on the Verizon ONT, since all of the connectivity in the household is based on either Coaxial or RJ11 (no RJ45 jacks to be found!)). The only cabled connectivity we have, then, is through the modem,. or in my case, through a router attached to the modem and then a switch attached to the router (My home network is set up more like a small business network). I didn't question my friend when he told me to get this particular router, but if you are aware of any other routers that can connect site-to-site VPN successfully to this one that don't cause the same issues, then that'd be great.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:30 PM

Be clear on what type of vpn you need to use.  Highly unusually your friend would be doing a site to site vpn.  More likely your friend is hosting a vpn server and you need to use a vpn client to connect to it.  It is best to have the same equipment at both ends of a site to site vpn.

Unclear why you would want a POE router but at $49 that's cheap.  Given your topology description I would think you would be more interested in a dual band AC wifi router

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:43 PM

If your using the Verizon FIOS for internet and TV you won't be able to switch to the Ethernet port on the ONT terminal. If you try and switch this will disable the MoCA, and even though Verizon set-top boxes support Ethernet the video will not work properly. That being said you will need to setup the Edgerouter X behind your Verizon Router. This is going to be pain no mater what router you try and use. Your easiest option would be what Wand3r3r mentioned and use a service that supports a VPN client such as OPENVPN. Your friend can install the free OpenVPN server software on just about anything and you can use the client on your PC or mobile device to connect. Lastly if you really want to try using the Edgerouter X I reccomend looking up Vyatta OS which is what Edge OS (the Software the Edgerouter runs) is roughly based on. The GUI setup is only about 10% of what that router can actually do.  I can also tell you from Experience unless your familiar with Linux and Linux routers these are difficult to program. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for  the advice. We are using site-to-site VPN rather than client to server (we tried PFSense, it didn't work.) because of Active Directory. My friend's the primary domain while I'm the secondary. (I know. Not your typical home network setup, right? Unfortunately, we are geeks,  and are using this collaborative environment to learn from; neither of us has this sort of access in our day jobs, so we're making it work outside of work. We use site to site to prevent the domain controller from accidentally being disconnected from the client side VPN, so it tends to stay connected if on the router side rather than the server side. Workstations would then connect as clients while we were away. Frankly, I wanted to use Direct Access to achieve this very thing, but we couldn't figure out how to get it going.) And plus, I want more control of my network rather than having the ISP-provided device doing everything. My friend doesn't have cable, and frankly, I don't give a dang about TV either, though I'd need a cable subscription for  a media streamer to work ... so not sure what the set-top box would do in that case, and whether it would matter. So if you know of any routers that work with site to site VPN that I could use (though I'm not afraid of Linux routers, in fact,,, one of the exercises with the EdgeRouter is so that my friend could in turn teach me how to configure a Linux router.) that don't cause issues with the cable box? I know it's possible to put your ISP router in bridged mode to make another router the primary. That's essentially what I'm trying to do. And don't be afraid of complicated configurations with me. I'm not your typical average user, and I'd rather get my hands dirty with configuration than set it and forget it.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

I know this setup Should be possible keeping your fios router in place but I havent had experience prgramming a site to site vpn on the Edgerouter or FIOS before. All my environments are Cisco except one that has a basic edgerouter lite setup with a Windows server SSTP vpn.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 16 October 2016 - 09:42 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

I'll have to talk to him directly then about specific configurations ... I was more or less asking a general question on here regarding how good your experience is with routers other than the ISP-provided modem acting as primary. My other friend (this one not very technical at all) managed something and he had no issues, but this one was just a wireless router from like Netgear or something.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

In that respect all of the sites we manage we put the ISP device in Bridge mode and install our equipment. With Business class internet the client can't make changes or manage their ISP modem/Router, this makes it hard for us to manage. It's a different story with home devices. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:21 AM

Interesting ... my friend had business internet once like two years ago from Comcast, and he was able to manage the device just fine ... he configured it to his liking, was able to disable DHCP (we both prefer Windows DHCP servers instead), and never had any issues. If you ask me, the client not being allowed to configure their own device could lead to issues down the road.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:54 PM

It's possible that only applies to Time Warner, besides At&t there isn't much else in northern Ohio.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:45 AM

That could definitely be it ... I've never seen it before in this state. I'll keep you updated on what happens though, for until we get the project under way again, I've got nothing to worry about.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

Sounds good, Looking forward to hearing about someone using the VPN on the router. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users