Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Interleaved memory

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

Curious----If my system supports duel channel memory and I have 4 memory slots would it be faster and better to populate all 4 ram slots? For instance, 4 sticks of 2GB VS 2 sticks of 4GB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

The fact that you have 4 memory slots is useful...but it's the motherboard specs which determine what specific RAM modules will work in your system.  There are different types of RAM...some are faster than others...one size does not fit all.

If you have an OEM system (made by HP, Lenovo, Asus, etc.) then the motherboard can be determined if we know the specific system manufacturer and model.

If you have a system where the motherboard is not the original...or the system is self/other-built, then the motherboard manufacturer and model will help us to provide an answer that makes sense.

Louis

#3 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

I have a HP p6653w.

Motherboard is a Foxconn N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6600-Desktop-PC-series/4269976/model/4313744/document/c02560084/?sku=BT529AA

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

If you post the make and model of this computer I can provide you with specific information regarding multi-channel RAM.

Multi-channel RAM

This technology increases the data transfer rate between the DRAM (Dynamic Random-Access Memory) and the memory controller.  The theory is that the multi-channel operation multiplies the transfer rate by the number of channels.  Dual-channel will double the transfer rate, triple-channel will triple the transfer rate, and quad-channel which quadruples the transfer rate.  RAM manufacturers sell matched modules for mutil-channel, matched modules will insure the best perfromance in multi-channel operation. 

Edit:

@Teddy1

You posted while I was putting this post together and doing honey dos.  

Your motherboard is only capable of dual channel.

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2016 - 10:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

If you post the make and model of this computer I can provide you with specific information regarding multi-channel RAM.

Multi-channel RAM

This technology increases the data transfer rate between the DRAM (Dynamic Random-Access Memory) and the memory controller.  The theory is that the multi-channel operation multiplies the transfer rate by the number of channels.  Dual-channel will double the transfer rate, triple-channel will triple the transfer rate, and quad-channel which quadruples the transfer rate.  RAM manufacturers sell matched modules for mutil-channel, matched modules will insure the best perfromance in multi-channel operation. 

Edit:

@Teddy1

You posted while I was putting this post together and doing honey dos.  I will do a quick search and post my findings.

#6 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

Yes I understand duel channel (two ram sticks working as one) but will the other two ram sticks also be running in duel channel and be working interleaved  with the first two sticks? In other words are all four sticks being used or is the second pair just sitting empty until the first pair are filled up?  :scratchhead:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

All four modules would need to be matched to run in dual channel.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:48 AM

Per MB Specs:  "Supports 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB DDR3 DIMMs" .

If you are running a 32-bit O/S...no point in anything more than 4GB.

I would run 2 4GB modules, since I see no gain from having more than 8GB installed ...and having anything more than 8GB just reflected as RAM which has no job.  If I did something where 16GB installed would be useful...I suppose I'd install 16GB.

Louis

#9 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:25 PM

Yes I understand duel channel (two ram sticks working as one) but will the other two ram sticks also be running in duel channel and be working interleaved  with the first two sticks? In other words are all four sticks being used or is the second pair just sitting empty until the first pair are filled up?  :scratchhead:

All four modules would need to be matched to run in dual channel.

ok------------thanks------------- :scratchhead:

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:59 PM

You can run dual channel with this computer, but only two of the DIMMs will run dual channel.  You will need to consult your user manual to determine which pair of DIMM slots (2 white and 2 black) should be used for dual channel.  

This computer sold with Windows 7 64-bit.  The motherboard has a limit of 8GB of DDR3.  I would suggest two 4GB modules populated.

#11 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

Thanks that clears it up for me, only 2 of the 4 sticks would run in dual mode not all 4.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:00 PM

Thanks that clears it up for me, only 2 of the 4 sticks would run in dual mode not all 4.

No. I put this simple:

Motherboard has 4 memory slots (say 1,2,3,4) and two memory channels.

"Memory channel 1" uses memory slots 1 and 2 while "memory channel 2" uses slots 3 and 4.

So 4 sticks run on dual channel mode.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 06 October 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

That agrees with my motherboard manual.  I have an AM3= board with 4 slots, with designated pairing for dual-channel.  The paired slots may be color-coded also.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#14 Teddy1

Teddy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:50 PM

So if all FOUR ram sticks are used simultaneously and populated equally in dual-channel I would suspect that 4x2 would be slightly faster than 2x4 because there would be more interleaving. Interleaving means that the data is spread out across more memory chips. While some chips are waiting for their CAS timing cycle to complete, data access can occur from the other chips. But the northbridge must be able to take advantage of interleaving across four DIMMs. Dose this make sense?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:14 PM

Not to me.

The guts of a system is a motherboard...the motherboard advertises and provides dual-channel RAM capability.  It matters not how many RAM slots are on the board...the result is dual-channel capability for that board if the prerequisites are met.

If there was any real advantage to running triple-channel over dual-channel...I'm sure that most boards today would have been triple-channel some time ago.

You have to remember...a lot of computer rhetoric, whether written or spoken, is incorrect or inconsequential.  Sellers/manufacturers...play up tiny differences in order to sell more of their products.  If it doesn't pass the common-sense test...I tend to disregard much of the rhetoric.

FWIW

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users