Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
- - - - -

How to make the GIMP look more like Photoshop in Puppy Linux...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:16 AM

Afternoon, all.

If you're a long-time user of both the GIMP and Photoshop, like me, then this how-to won't really apply to you. But short of installing WINE, and running Photoshop under that, this 'tweak' will enable newcomers to Puppy (and Linux in general) to get used to the GIMP more easily. Just remember that 'under the hood', both the GIMP and PS work pretty much the same, since they're both what are known as 'raster graphics editors'. They simply have a different approach to accomplishing the same tasks.....and long-term Photoshop users tend to get 'set in their ways'.....   :woot:  :lol:  

Doctor Mo, from DeviantArt, has produced this easily-installed 'hidden' config file specially for GIMP 2.8, which makes it look rather more like Photoshop. It still works as normal, but enables new users to make that transition a wee bit less painfully. It will work, so I understand, in any Pup that can run 2.8, as well as in any other Linux distro.

METHOD:- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Follow this link from OMG!Ubuntu:-

On the Deviant Art page you come to, download the 'tweak' file via the small download button in the top-right corner of the page. It's a zip file, approx 142 kb in size. Save it where you'll know where to find it. 

2) Once you're ready to try this out, proceed as follows:-

3) If you use UExtract, as I do, this will self-extract into a folder of its own creation. If you're using XArchiver, it will help to create a dedicated folder for this to be extracted into first.

4) Having extracted it, go to the just-created folder, with the new config file inside it.. The folder will appear empty; don't worry, this is to be expected, as it's a 'hidden' folder. Use the 'eye' icon on the ROX-Filer Menu Bar to show it, and .....voilà! There it is. Leave this ROX window open.

5) Open a second ROX window on /root, and again, use the 'eye' to show all the hidden folders. Locate ~/.gimp-2.8. Now; this next bit is important. Copy the original GIMP config folder to a safe location, so you can restore the GIMP to its original appearance if you don't like the 'Photoshop' look.

6) Having done this, you can now delete the /gimp-2.8 folder. Now, drag the new, 'tweaked' hidden folder from your first ROX window to the /root window, and, again, choose 'Copy'.

7) Once it's finished copying (a matter of seconds), that's essentially it. Tweak accomplished!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fire up the GIMP.....and admire it's new 'look'. If you don't like it at all, you can easily return things to their usual appearance by the simple expedient of reversing the above steps.

Essentially, you'll transition from this:-

9uEJMQe.png

...to this:-

qXx9Qm8.png

Personally, I quite like it..! See what you think.

I expect this will work quite happily in most other mainstream Linux distros as well.....the only major difference being the location of the .gimp-2.8 'hidden' config directory. In Puppy, it is, of course, in the /root directory; in most of the other, multi-user distros, it will be in the user's /home directory

Enjoy!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 October 2016 - 08:59 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users