Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobsync.exe_invalid File Path

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Colophon

Colophon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

I've been using a program called "System Mechanic". It has a function for displaying
and regulating the programs that load on start up, along with some info about each one.
The one called "mobsync.exe" is described as having an invalid file path. It is shown like this:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run.

Is there any wayto fix this? I'm running Windows 2000 Pro.
Thank in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:13 AM

Colophon:
It is also running on my Windows 2000 Professional computer(without an error).

Please see Response 3 in the following link:

http://www.computing.net/windows2000/wwwbo...orum/48298.html

Hope that helps,
JC

#3 Colophon

Colophon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the response. I'll check out that link now.

#4 Colophon

Colophon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

OK, checked it out. Not yet at the point where I'm looking to remove it. Still trying to find out why it has an invalid file path and if that can be fixed. I'm fairly ignorant about anything to do with registry files and how to edit them.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

You don't need to edit the regisitry. The last step in the link gets you to remove the startup entry with the registry utility he was using. With yours, I believe System Mechanic will remove the startup entry for you.

Let us know.
JC

#6 Colophon

Colophon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

What I'm trying to figure out is the meaning of "invalid filepath". i.e. what causes that
to happen and how to fix it. Is it something that was caused by using System Mechanic
during a registry cleanup or somesuch?

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

It could be possible that this was caused by the registry cleanup. Do you believe that System Mechanic caused this issue? When did this start? Are you having any other related issues? Are you getting this message outside of System Mechanic? Are you able to find the file mobsync.exe on your computer?

If you believe that it was caused by System Mechanic, I found that it is possible to restore a registry backup made by System Mechanic. See this - http://www.iolo.com/customercare/kbarticle.aspx?id=KBA-01569

The other steps that I linked to above should also work.
JC

#8 Colophon

Colophon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:55 PM

Just used the Windows search funtion and could not find "mobsync.exe". I wonder where it went. Is the reason that it's still listed in the startup is that the reference still exists in the registry? It shows this in "System Mechanic".

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

I don't think there's a real problem either way since it's not a fuction I ever use, just a chance to expand my meager PC knowledge. Don't like the idea of losing an exe. file and not knowing how it happened.

re. restoring registry backup.

Is there a way to get up those backup files to see whats in there before restoring them,
and if so can they be edited so you only restore what you need?

Edited by Colophon, 24 August 2006 - 01:03 PM.

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:10 PM

That would definately cause the error message. -the file missing. Although, the file may be hidden(this would not cause the error in System Mechanic), you could follow the steps in the link below to unhide your files. You will have to re-hide the files after you have done your search.

Instructions on how to do this can be found here:
How to see hidden files in Windows

This will confirm that the file is missing. Not sure if that makes a difference since you mentioned that is a function that you don't use. Personally, I don't really care about this feature either. Registry Mechanic would be more likely to delete the registry entry, not the file... Not 100% sure since I do not use this product, I would have to do more research to look at all of its features, including your backup question....Right now, I would not proceed with that. You could probably expand the file from the Windows 2000 CD if you really needed the file.

Edited by Joshuacat, 24 August 2006 - 06:10 PM.

JC

#10 Colophon

Colophon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the help Joshuacat. Sorry it took me so long to get back, I was out of town for the weekend.
Earlier you asked if I had any related problems. I have another problem related to controlling my startup programs but I don't know if it has anything to do with the mobsync.exe or not , I kind of dought it. Should I continue that here or start a new thread? I'm new to using forums and don't know the proper procedures yet.

#11 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

You should probably start a new topic.

Good-luck.

:thumbsup:
JC