Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Anniversary Update - Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

I installed this update about a week ago and whilst i am happy with the 'improvements' i have been havind some issues with my PC that may or may not be related to the update

These include: Windows folders freezing at random, particularly while renaming a folder within it; random non microsoft software freezing (including CCleaner and Malwarebytes); more worryingly the whole PC freezing while running the screen saver and requiring a 'hard' restart (power button). This one i seemed to fix by changing the screen saver settings, but then later on while running a virus scan, the screen saver and power saver functions failed to run and it froze up again, once again neding a 'hard' restart (after which all seems fine).

Not sure if it is related or coincidental but i have also had issues with my internet/wifi since updating both this PC (desktop) and a laptop running off the same home network/connection. This includes random disconnection from the wifi and being unable to access webpages despite Windows reporting no problem with the connection.

FYI, I am running Windows 10 Home Premium x64 on a packard bell iMedia S3810 desktop, (plus 2 ASUS laptops running the same Windows 10 version on my home network). All machines run Norton Security.

Any advice please. Should i persevere with my current 10 build or remove the update. Anything i can try or run to sort out the problems i have been having? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:14 PM

Havent got the log yet but i can report the following after the scan:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Do you still need the log from the scan?

#4 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

Got the Log now. Here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0fr5kmenzn77i4/cbs.txt?dl=0

#5 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Still having a bit of a problem with windows explorer since the update. When i want to create, move or rename a folder, windows explorer will at random stop responding (not every time). Each time i have to force it to close itself, which of course closes all open windows and looses any unsaved changes. Not a massive problem i will admit but a nuisance nonetheless.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:03 PM

Not finding any integrity issues means that there were no corrupt or incorrect files found.

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one).

Notice:  This will take a long time to run, please allow for at least an hour for this to complete.  Stopping this can cause damage to the operating system.

When you open the Windows Repair (All in one) you will see tabs labeled Steps 1. through 5.  Then Repairs and Settings2. through 4. are optional.

Step 1.  Do a Proper Power Reset.  This is impotant and not optional.

tweak1_zps5460eb3e.png

Step 2.  Clean Your System From Infections (Optional).  This option will run Malwarebytes Antimalware if you choose to.

tweak2_zpse9b74c2d.png

Step 3.  Check File System (Optional), this will give you the option to see if you need to run chkdsk or the option to run chkdsk.

tweak3_zps6ebd559a.png

Step 4.  System File Check (sfc /scannow), (Optional).

tweak4_zps314fabc4.png

Step 5.  Registry Backup & System Restore.  This is not optional.
Click on Backup for the Registry, then click on Create for the System Restore.

tweak5_zps1f8cef34.png

Repairs.  Click on Start.

tweak6_zps104a9f0c.png

You will see an image similar to the one below, click on Start Repairs  

repairsa_zpsd14077e8.png

When the Repair has finished you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

After the computer is restarted you will need to reopen Windows Repair and go to Settings

Settings.  On this page you will see Log Location, in the same section you will find Open Log Folder.  Click on Open Log Folder, this will open the log files, double click on this, then click on _Windows_Repair_Log.  Copy the log and then paste it in your topic.

tweak7_zps277d4e41.png  

Tweaks is optional, you can go to these sites and use the tweaks.

tweak8_zps7d30ed30.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users