Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

private messages both sent and received - how download?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:24 PM

How can we download our private messages, both sent and receieved?  Any way to do this in some automated manner?

Edit: Moved topic from Tests and Scribbles to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,502 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:05 AM

As far as I can tell there is no built-in download button or whatever to do this. However, you might be able to do it from your browser. File & Save Page As.

Edited by technonymous, 06 October 2016 - 12:06 AM.

#3 JustxMeg

JustxMeg

• Banned
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:49 AM

There is no way, only by saving the full web page.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:55 AM

I'm just curious...what purpose would such downloads (if possible) serve?

I would think that...by definition...Private Messaging is not configured for download to a system, any more than a forum topic would be.  Thexe things are online content of the website, with PMs not even susceptible to the ubiquitous tracking of search engines which forum content is exposed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2016 - 07:21 AM.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:41 PM

I'm just curious...what purpose would such downloads (if possible) serve?

I would think that...by definition...Private Messaging is not configured for download to a system, any more than a forum topic would be.  Thexe things are online content of the website, with PMs not even susceptible to the ubiquitous tracking of search engines which forum content is exposed.

Louis

The purpose is to not lose them.  The allotment of private messages can reach its capacity and then either one must delete some or all to make room for continued PM's, or simply receive no more PM's.  I just like to have a full record of private messages from some forums.  The capability to automatically download ones private messages is a feature on at least one other forum I am aware of.  (or, it was; I have not done the download for that one in a long time and that forum changed some of its system.)

#6 JustxMeg

JustxMeg

• Banned
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

You can store 120 private messages here... isn't that enough and must the sender not give permissions for it if you download them? Because, you can do whatever you want to do with it, like sharing it into the public.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users