Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Problem - green/blue tint

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 milia

milia

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

Hi, I'm trying to figure out if my monitor is not working or if it is my video card or both. My monitor has a green/blue tint to it and I can't see the color red, but if I bring up the settings I can see red, though changing/resetting the color settings doesn't do anything for the actual display. 

Here's a photo to make it easier to understand: http://mikaristar.deviantart.com/art/Monitor-638482316 The candy corn on the wallpaper (left) is supposed to be orange, the right image shows the settings in default after resetting the monitor (the actual monitor, not just the PC). I've also tried rebooting the PC but nothing changes. The fact that I can see red on the settings is what makes me wonder if it really is the monitor, since it's at least capable of displaying the color there... Any ideas? 

The card is an Nvidia with 2 ports, the monitor is connected through an adapter (It doesn't fit directly). I've had this set up for a few years now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:58 PM

Hello, Milia,

What Windows operating system are you using?

Have you tried hooking the monitor up to another computer desktop or laptop? I highly recommend to check it in this manner. It will really answer the question if the monitor is going out. Maybe a friend could help you out? However, be sure to check the plug ends for damage before doing so as you don't want to damage someone elses video card. Look for bent pins, unusual kink in the wire, wire damage things like that. Pets love to chew on things.

Not sure if this works in all 7, 8, 10, but you can try...

Go to search or run and type this command and hit enter: %windir%\system32\control.exe desk.cpl,Monitor,@Monitor Or, Right-Click the desktop and Display Settings

Once that window opens you will see  "Advanced Display Settings". Click on that. From there you should see a color management. You want to set that up and check that Windows is listing your monitor there and has any drivers color profiles properly set. If you see something like unknown monitor there might be a driver issue. There is also an extra clickable link there for calibration color, hue, saturation, brightness, contrast etc...The setting differ with the different versions of Windows.

-Another issue could be your graphics card is overriding those settings color, hue etc..Typically there is a "right-click the desktop" display options for AMD or Nvidia to launch your graphics cards display settings. You want to check those settings in there for color as well.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:06 AM

If the monitor is definitely capable of displaying red (because it does so when accessing the monitor's internal settings), but your computer generated images do not display any red content, then I would suggest you look very closely at your video cable / adaptor setup as in my experience this would be by far the most common failure area for this type of problem. Disconnecting / reconnecting all joints may solve the problem, wiggling cables while watching the image may indicate where the problem lies, trying an alternative cable setup is always a good idea. "Adapters" are always suspect.

As above, trying a different monitor on your computer or using a different computer to drive your monitor are good diagnostic tests.

If the video cable is faulty & is permanently fixed to the monitor then the monitor may be beyond economic repair.

Edited by rqt, 06 October 2016 - 03:12 AM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:56 AM

Adapters are a handy way to make conversions from one interface to another but often the adapters are not fully compatible and the tint changes can result.  If DVI, VGA of HDMI cannot be cabled directly (without and adapter or converter) this can and often does result in the fault you see.

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2016 - 11:52 AM.

#5 milia

milia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:14 PM

I'm using Windows 7. The monitor won't display anything anymore and the light flashes as if it were disconnected. Here's a photo of the adapter: http://mikaristar.deviantart.com/art/Adapter-638494543

I thought about trying it out with the motherboard output but it also doesn't work, although maybe that's because NVidia is in there. I'm thinking about getting a new cable, maybe I can find one that doesn't need an adapter... I don't have any spares to test with though, my laptop is a tiny table laptop without the proper port. Sounds like a new adapter/cable might be my best option then, the cable can be removed from the monitor.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:13 AM

Is this a tube monitor or a led flat screen? Just making sure.

Edited by technonymous, 07 October 2016 - 12:14 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,249 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

I had an issue of the screen having a yellow tint and it was the adapter card as I switched to a known good monitor with cable and still had the yellow tint. You BIOS may have a setting that requires you to change the default video to the integrated graphics chipset but most are auto sensing.

The monitor should have a setting in the on-screen menu to do a reset. Have you tried that?

#8 milia

milia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:14 PM

It's a samsung flat, I haven't seen a tube in a long time. XD

I already tried resetting the monitor and it didn't work. :(

From what I've gathered at various forums, it looks like changing the cable might be the way to go. I bought a new cable before work, but I won't be able to test it until the end of the day. Let's see how that goes.

#9 milia

milia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:01 PM

The new cable worked for a little while, one power outage later and this is what's happening now:

I think it's time to give up. :( Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, any final thoughts?

Edited by milia, 08 October 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,249 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

Try powercycling the computer. Pull the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and boot.

#11 milia

milia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:04 PM

It didn't do anything :(

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

In the video it looks as if the video cards fan stops, if it is that is no good.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:14 PM

Was your computer plugged into a power surge protector?

#14 milia

milia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

I have a Unipower battery backup.

All 4 fans stop...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users