Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word Crashes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 techjr2016

techjr2016

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:48 PM

Microsoft word 2010 starter crashes every time when trying to print. It prints fine with any other program. Microsoft word prints fine when selecting another printer. Its just one hp printer where word crashes.

Program = Microsoft Word 2010

OS = Windows 7

Any advice? Solution?

Edited by techjr2016, 05 October 2016 - 06:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

Hello there,

This may be related to your printer driver. But let's start off by using the Repair feature in Word. Follow the instructions from here.

If I understand you correctly, you can print from other programs such as Notepad or your browser? Does the issue persist if you just print a Word document with just plain text?

Please let me know the results.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 techjr2016

techjr2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:10 PM

Were in a VDI environment and because of group policy the user doesnt have rights to perform. Yes, if I were to print from Excel, browser, or notepad, then it prints fine. If the user logs into a different workstation, then the issue persist, but if another user signs into the same workstation, then there is no issue. That is why I dont think it might be the driver? The issue persists if I just print a plain text. Im assuming there is something wrong with the profile

Thanks for the help!

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

Thank you for your reply. So you're saying that the problem only occurs in one user account — the other user accounts are fine? And you can't run the repair feature because it's blocked by Group Policy? :)

Since you suspect it's caused by your profile, let's reset your user options and registry settings in Word. Please follow these instructions from Microsoft. Please DO NOT edit the registry — do the "Here's an easy fix". As the name implies, your settings will be reset.

Let me know whether if the issue persists. :thumbup2:

P.S. In the mean time, you can download a free and open-source office suite called LibreOffice. LibreOffice Writer, included in the office suite, is similar to Microsoft Word. Here's their website.

Edit: Fixed broken link.

Edited by bwv848, 07 October 2016 - 09:12 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

In some work environments, users are assigned certain VDIs, so no matter what workstation they use, they will continue to be routed to the same VDI. And unless they have admin rights on that VDI, they can't make any registry changes, or run anything that will edit the registry. That includes downloading and installing open source software on a VDI that may not be approved for company use.

Are the printers network printers, or are they connected directly to the workstation?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

In some work environments, users are assigned certain VDIs, so no matter what workstation they use, they will continue to be routed to the same VDI. And unless they have admin rights on that VDI, they can't make any registry changes, or run anything that will edit the registry. That includes downloading and installing open source software on a VDI that may not be approved for company use.

Are the printers network printers, or are they connected directly to the workstation?

Good point! :thumbsup:

#7 techjr2016

techjr2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:27 PM

The issue has been fixed. Initially, i thought the issue was only happening to one user. So, i decided to check the rest of the users that belong to the same pool. i found out that rest of the users were having the issue also. I just repaired microsoft office in the master/gold image, then push out the new snapshot to the pool. Then, problem solved!!!  :spidy:

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:06 PM

Glad that you got the issue fixed! :)

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

Ditto. With VDIs, troubleshooting can be a bit more time-consuming. Glad you were able to pinpoint that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users