Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop icons moving

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Atoz44

Atoz44

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop. I removed unwanted desktop icons and moved the saved ones to the left side of the screen. However when I turn the computer back on they move out to their original postion in the middle. Does anyone know how to keep these from moving back and stay on the left side?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

Try right-clicking on an empty space on the desktop, select 'view', then untick 'auto arrange icons'

#3 Atoz44

Atoz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:42 PM

I didn't think about right clicking. But the "auto arrange icons" was not checked. I tried the "align icons to grid", but that didn't work. I have moved icons on other computers I have owned and they stayed put. But this one does not for some reason. It is a Toshiba satellite laptop with windows 8.1. It is about 3 years old.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

Try ticking 'auto arrange icons', going back to your desktop, then right-clicking again and unticking auto arrange icons.

If no luck have a read here for some more ideas

http://www.winability.com/how-to-i-stop-windows-from-rearranging-my-desktop-icons/

#5 FearOfMalwares

FearOfMalwares

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Location:5th Street, West Tapinac, Olongapo, Philippines, World, Earth
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:28 AM

or your virus causing your icons to move..

#6 syonia

syonia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

try what opera said, i've had that issue before and it worked. or unfortunately, it could be malware causing your icons to move. there's definitely been a few viruses out there that like to play with desktop icons.

#7 Atoz44

Atoz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:22 PM

I have tried about everything. I ran a Malwarebytes virus scan and there was nothing. I will just have to live with it. Since 1997, I have never had a computer last for more than 4 years. This one is 3 years old. So I have 1 more year to go before this one self destructs.

This site has problems. This is the second time I tried to write this post. The 1st one was much more detailed. It would not post. Something about a security key not matching. I was logged out automatically 3 times. I had problems with previous posts also.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users