Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Merge 2 Dropbox Accounts on My Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wdrbbq

wdrbbq

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

I currently have 3 devices in question:

1) An iPod Touch 4g with a Dropbox under my Yahoo mail account

2) A Samsung Galaxy J7 phone with a Dropbox under my Gmail account

3) An HP laptop with an icon that leads to the Dropbox at the Gmail account + a bookmark that leads to the Dropbox at my Yahoo account.

I can only have one Dropbox icon on my laptop at a time and that's dedicated to the Gmail account. Is there a way I can merge the two such that both end up under the Gmail account? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:46 PM

I too have a Dropbox account but I don't even have a bookmark for it, I just type 'dropbox.com' into the address bar and then log in.

I am not sure that I am undertanding you correctly - you have two Dropbox accounts, one with a gmail log-in and the other with a yahoo log-in. Are you wanting to merge these two accounts into one or are you trying to to create an icon that will allow you to access either ?

I think the only way to merge the two into one account would be to download the the content from the yahoo account and then upload it to the gmail one. If you are wanting to go to either account by clicking on the one Dropbox icon I don't think this is possible. You could try renaming your present icon say 'Gmail Dropbox' and then trying to create another icon called 'Yahoo Dropbox'. I know this works for icons, i have just done it on my desktop for a small application. Worth a try.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:04 AM

Thanks for your response. Yes, that was what I wanted to do: Merge the two accounts such that the content of both would be contained in the one for the Gmail account, but I'm not sure how to do it. I guess I was looking for a way to upload the contents of the Yahoo Dropbox into the Gmail Dropbox in one simple move in lieu of uploading each item separately. By the way, in the Dropbox for my iPod, which is the one with the Yahoo address, I don't see a way to upload everything, or anything for that matter, to the other Dropbox.

So, I guess what I'm asking for is a way to upload everything from the Dropbox in my iPod, in one move, to the Dropbox with the Gmail address, such that I could have all of the info from the two Dropboxes on my laptop in one Dropbox under the Gmail address.

I apologize for making this overly wordy and complicated. Thanks again for your assistance. 

Edited by wdrbbq, 06 October 2016 - 03:07 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

I am not an expert on how Dropbox works, I just use it primarily for sharing large files, but have you considered either searching their FAQs or even contacting their support?

One thing you might need to look out for is that at the moment you get up to 2GB free storage on Dropbox, if you go beyond this you pay.  Of course if both your accounts are beyond the 2GB limit then you are paying anyway and it would make sense to have only one account.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

Thanks.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

Take a look here, from Dropbox: How do I manually merge the contents of two Dropbox accounts?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:30 PM

Thanks. I clicked on the link and bookmarked the page. I will apply its instructions tomorrow but, in briefly scanning it, it seems to be what I'm looking for. Thanks again and I'll be back to either announce success or ask more questions.

#8 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

I encountered a problem in following the instructions in the link you provided, so I found another way. When I unlinked Account A, logged into Account B and clicked on Install from my laptop, it re-installed Dropbox and the system tray icon said it had been updated. No menu offering filenames or anything like that. So, after unlinking my iPod via my laptop, I hit the Dropbox icon on my iPod and was informed it was successfully unlinked. I then logged onto my iPod Dropbox with my Gmail ID and it immediately offered to upload iPod photos. Problem solved! The whole thing came about because I wanted to discontinue taking photos with my iPod and begin with my Galaxy J7, but have them all seamlessly in one Dropbox. Thank you, everyone, for your time and your expertise.

#9 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

One last thing: Thanks to Chris Cosgrove for the advice on storage capacity. I checked and I'm only using 1.8% of my 2 gigs, with all of my pix stored. Thanks again.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:16 PM

Glad you got everything sorted. Thank you for sharing your resolution with us. You're quite welcome on behalf of the BleepingComputer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 wdrbbq

wdrbbq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

I'm sure I'll be back soon with another easy question for you. I must say that I have experience with other forums (fora?) but I've never experienced one where everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable and isn't full of bogus info until now. Everyone here is helpful and prompt with responses. I really appreciate that. Thanks again.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:53 PM

Glad you got it sorted as well !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users