Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update KB2952664??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

This morning I powered up the computer and checked for updates. There were two optional updates. One update was for MSE and the other, as stated, KB2952664. This is a compatibility upgrade update for those who are participating in the Customer Experience

Improvement Program and performs diagnostics to see if current OS is able to upgrade to Win 10.

Well, this update showed up before as recommended not optional. I have no intention of upgrading. If I had, I would have taken the "free upgrade" when it was available. Why would I want to ruin a perfectly good system (that suits my needs and is tweaked to my preferences) to upgrade to a system that appears to be constantly experiencing problems.

I do not participate in the CEIP and I did not upgrade, so why is MS still pushing these types of updates??

Windows 7 will be my last OS from MS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

My only guess is Microsoft thinks people who eventually upgrade to Windows 10 will need this update. In October your only option will be to install rollup packages through WU. That update may eventually be included as Microsoft intends to have all previous fixes and reliability updates included in the rollup packages.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3108407/windows/windows-7-and-8-1-updates-switching-to-cumulative-monthly-rollups-starting-in-october.html

On top of that, Microsoft intends to add older updates to the monthly rollup over time. Eventually, Microsoft wants to include every update between the “last baseline” for each operating system and the present. Presumably, that baseline is Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and the Windows 8.1 upgrade for Windows 8.

I presume this will include all the telemetry updates for Windows 7 I avoided. Security only updates will be available through the Windows Update Catalog but they will not be cumulative.

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

I presume this will include all the telemetry updates for Windows 7 I avoided. Security only updates will be available through the Windows Update Catalog but they will not be cumulative.

I've avoided the telemetry updates as well and this will make for a lot of "unhappy campers", if what you presume does materialize.

It seems that MS is continuing down the path of disregarding users' choices.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

Personally, I don't need an update to change the fact that Egypt no longer has DST, or the Russian Ruble changed. I'm going to use the Windows Update Catalog to download the monthly security rollup but I doubt most people will go this route.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

Personally, I don't need an update to change the fact that Egypt no longer has DST, or the Russian Ruble changed. I'm going to use the Windows Update Catalog to download the monthly security rollup but I doubt most people will go this route.

Exactly!!

Besides, what do you do if the 'rollup' causes problems. There appears to be no other solution other than to uninstall the rollup. So, I will go the route of security updates as well.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

One bad update in any future rollup and you will not know which one caused the problem. 

#7 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, that's the irony of it all. You won't know what will be included in the rollup.

BTW, when going to Microsoft Update Catalog do you have to create an account and sign-in ??

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

No, but you do need to install an add-on. I guess the same holds true for the Security Rollups. If one security update goes bad you will not know which one is causing the problem but fortunately I have not had problems with security updates. 

https://www.askwoody.com/2016/acknowledged-printing-bugs-in-kb-3177725-win7-security-patch-and-kb-3176493-win10-10586-545-update/

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 October 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

Hopefully just installing security updates will go smoothly and not create problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users