Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First New Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:15 AM

How do I back up my Windows XP to a USB external HDD, could some one please advise me on how to do this,
and what software do I need..? Etc I also have to go out and buy the external USB HDD so advice on this would also be most welcome .... This is my first new computer and I am a newbie

Thanks ............... Mypenry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

XP has a built in backup utility although some external hard drives, called "Dual Purpose" or something similar, come with backup software that is more complex and more customizeable than the Windows utility.

You access the Windows Backup Utility by clicking start/programs/accessories/system tools/backup

You just need to buy the external USB hard drive you want and plug it into a USB port.

You may or may not need to format it or use Disk Management to set it up - read the manufacturer's instructions.

#3 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

How do I back up my Windows XP to a USB external HDD, could some one please advise me on how to do this,

Did you want to back up WinXP, or just your data?

#4 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:25 AM

Thanks Guy's for your replys ....

being a computer Newbie, I keep reading ..Back it up. Back it up !!, and a friend has just lost all his
info as his HDD packed up working , So I would like to keep an image of my system , just in case ..?
and ive been told the best way to do that is by transfering every thing on to an External HDD...?

Ive just noticed that this computer has a FireWire connection, so would it be best for me to buy an external HDD with Firewire capability , or just use one with a USB connection..? also would I need to get some extra new software to enable me to transfer info from my computer to the new external HDD ..?

I don't really know which type of external HDD to get or its size ( this computer has a 250 GB HDD )

so any comments / advice on the above would be most welcome

Thanks again .........Mypenry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users